[Ws2-jurisdiction] REMINDER: Focus, Working Method and Revisions to Proposed Questions: RESPONSE REQUESTED [was: Jurisdiction Proposed Questions and Poll Results]

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 08:17:53 UTC 2017

Kavouss,

First, let me wish you and the other members of the Jurisdiction subgroup a
Happy and Healthy New Year.  I will also extend these wishes to the other
members of the GAC, as you have chosen to send a copy of your email to that
group.

This email seems both premature and disproportionate, when only two emails
were sent in this thread expressing concerns with Question 4.  Indeed, only
a few participants had the opportunity to respond at all after my email was
sent on Friday, since we are in the midst of a holiday period.  As such,
nothing has been decided, and the responses of most participants have not
yet been received.  As such, I was quite surprised to see an email seek to
short-circuit an ongoing discussion.

The content of the email is also surprising, as it consists of a series of
dramatic and unsupported assertions that are quite corrosive, both to the
group and to many individual participants.  I think that the subgroup would
be far better served by sticking to the substance of the issues and seeking
to work together and work through the issues.  On December 25th, I wrote in
an email to the subgroup:

We need to pay attention to how we engage with each other, and we need to
> emphasize engagement on ideas and substance.
> Based on my participation in a number of working groups over the years,
> I've observed the following:  In order to develop broad support for
> positions or decisions in any working group or subgroup (including this
> one), it is necessary for participants to strive to do three things:
> -- *Listen*: Take the time to understand the views of others in the
> group; don't dismiss views without considering their substance
> -- *Persuade*:  Try to persuade others (through fact and logic) why your
> view makes sense and should be adopted; don't attempt to impose your view
> (e.g., by saying something "must" be done)
> -- *Compromise*: For a position to get broad support, it will need to
> reconcile opposing viewpoints.  Participants will often need to move away
> from initial positions and "absolutes" to find common ground; the ultimate
> result may not be exactly what any participant or group of participants
> want.
> Without listening, persuasion has no chance to work.  Without trying to
> persuade, others will not move to embrace your views.  Without compromise,
> we will not arrive at positions that have broad support.
> The focus needs to be on facts, on ideas, on reasoning together.  Focusing
> on identities and not on ideas will not lead to success.  Playing up
> divisions based on identities does not lead to common ground.
> In my view, we need to work together as a group and concentrate on
> substance in order to be productive.

​I wish that you had taken this to heart, rather than sending your email.
Perhaps you missed my email.  However, these concepts echo ICANN's Expected
Standards of Behavior
<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/expected-standards-2016-06-28-en>,
with which you are certainly familiar:

>    - *Listen* to the views of all stakeholders when considering policy
>    issues. ICANN is a unique multi-stakeholder environment. Those who
>    take part in the ICANN process must acknowledge the importance of all
>    stakeholders and seek to understand their points of view.
>

>    - *Work* to build consensus with other stakeholders in order to find
>    solutions to the issues that fall within the areas of ICANN's
>    responsibility. The ICANN model is based on a bottom-up, consensus
>    driven approach to policy development. Those who take part in the ICANN process
>    must take responsibility for ensuring the success of the model by trying to
>    build consensus with other participants.
>
> The only way that this subgroup, or any subgroup or Working Group, will
succeed is through building consensus (i.e., rough consensus).  As the
Standards of Behavior note, it is the responsibility of each participant to
try to build consensus.  It is antithetical to the consensus-building
process to attempt to divide the subgroup into factions (or "camps") and to
state that a large group of participants are opponents of the
multistakeholder process (among many other unfortunate accusations,
theories and characterizations below).

If you want all four questions to be sent out, you need to help build
consensus in the subgroup that this is the right result, and you need to
help the subgroup look for a form of question 4 that would get the broadest
support.  If you look at the email at the beginning of this thread, you
will see that this is what I was trying to do (with no guarantee of
success, of course). I don't think this email helps that process, to say
the least.  As such, it would seem that this email has exactly the opposite
effect than was intended (unless the intended effect was something else
entirely, such as an attempt to cause the failure of the subgroup or an
attempt to force a result through something other than consensus-building).

Perhaps force of habit leads to looking at all ICANN participants through
the prism of nationality or national interest.  This is a very
counterproductive approach in a Cross-Community Working Group (a relatively
recent and still evolving experiment in ICANN working methods).  These
incorrect assumptions can lead to other even more negative behaviors, such
as stereotyping participants and conspiracy theories, and even attempts to
delegitimize other participants. Participants have different viewpoints and
different opinions and come from different stakeholder communities, and
should not be mushed together solely due to nationality.  Such reductive
and oppressive approaches should be disregarded and discarded, here as
elsewhere.

It is quite exceptional to assert, without any basis, that an array of
participants from different stakeholder communities are somehow "together
in a well-orchestrated arrangement" on a "special mission" "protecting a
particular group," solely based on their nationality.  I am not aware of
any such orchestration or collusion.  It is even more remarkable to assert
that this nationalistic "orchestration" extends to outside counsel engaged
to assist the CCWG in its work.

I note that this very email thread proves the fallacy of this line of
thinking.  Three US participants responded to this thread; two raised
concerns with Question 4, while the third supported Question 4.

I do not know who you speak for when you say "We," but if you do speak for
a group of participants in the subgroup, that is the only "orchestration" I
know of in this subgroup.  I hope that there are few, if any, others who
believe that this extreme approach is fruitful. I am concerned that
​the effect (if not the intent) of ​
this email
​​
could
​be to ​
sow division instead of building consensus, to undermine rather than
support the work of the subgroup,
​​
to denigrate and even delegitimize participants rather than to treat them
with respect and to "seek to understand their points of view
<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/expected-standards-2016-06-28-en>
​​,
"
​ and to bring about the failure of this subgroup, the CCWG and even the
multistakeholder model, instead of working to support, strengthen and
succeed on all these fronts.
 ​

Instead, I hope that most, if not all, of the other participants in the
subgroup are committed to working together, to supporting the work of the
subgroup, to discussing matters of substance, and to working within
and "ensuring
the success of the [multistakeholder] model
<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/expected-standards-2016-06-28-en>."
 This model requires commitment, a recognition that the work is sometimes
messy, and a recognition that consensus requires compromise.  It's a model
I strongly believe in, even when the results are less than optimal from my
point of view (or from the point of view of my stakeholder community).
Indeed, the strength of one's commitment to the model is revealed when
things aren't going one's way.

I hope that you will reconsider your position and continue to work with the
rest of us to support the subgroup and its work, rather than seek to stand
in its way and stop its work.  I look forward to your further positive
contributions to the substance of the issues before us as we continue our
work.

Best regards,

Greg
​