[Ws2-jurisdiction] Jurisdiction Questionnaire: RESPONSE REQUESTED

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jan 9 06:16:20 UTC 2017

On Monday 09 January 2017 11:21 AM, Greg Shatan wrote:
> All,
>
> snip
>
> I think that an underlying problem is that it is unclear what the
> purpose of Question 4 is, or at least there is no common understanding
> of the purpose of Question 4.  If we can come to consensus on the
> purpose, then the wording of the question itself will be much easier.
> If we don't have a common understanding of what we're trying to
> accomplish with Question 4, that will be a significant impediment to
> arriving at a version of the question that will get consensus support.
>
> So I suggest we also try to arrive at a common understanding of what
> the purpose of Question 4 is.

1. This sub group is dealing with the issue of ICANN's jurisdiction,
with “ICANN’s jurisdiction” refers to (a) ICANN being subject to U.S.
and California law as a result of its incorporation and location in
California, (b) ICANN being subject to the laws of any other country as
a result of its location within or contacts with that country, or (c)
any “choice of law” or venue provisions in agreements with ICANN.

2. Dealing with an issue would normally mean dealing with the problems,
if any, in relation to that issue. We indeed seemed to agree here that
'problems' is a better word than 'issues', because it is "problem", if
any, that need attention, and not just "issues".

3. In light of the above, to ask the public/ community about
"information/ facts about the nature of problems about current ICANN's
jurisdiction", to me appears to be the most logical and clear thing to
do. That is precisely what Q4 seeks to do.

What is so unclear about the purpose of Q4?

Greg, I am surprised that even you say that "it is unclear what the
purpose of the Q 4 is".

We seem to have entered into some kind of Wonderland, of Alice's fame,
where clear things are not clear things...

parminder