[Ws2-jurisdiction] Epistemological basis of sub-group's working - and my objection to the so called consensus

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Wed Jan 11 15:27:11 UTC 2017

Paraminder:

You ask "why did the chair rush calling consensus on one text, rather than, as is his job, to try to persuade acceptance of small changes that could make all happy", but then you note that "the wording of the question was a hotly contested subject for more than a month".

I believe that you have answered your own question. Taking more than a month to concur on a questionnaire consisting of but four questions is an inordinate waste of valuable time, and bringing the matter to a conclusion after so much time is hardly a matter of running roughshod over any member of the WG but a reasonable decision to conclude the discussion when it became apparent that consensus had been reached both on the wording of the question and the need to move on to other matters. I commend the chair for bringing the discussion to a successful conclusion.

We flatter ourselves too much if we believe that the precise wording of any question will constrain anyone responding to it from putting forth whatever point of view they wish to convey in an answer regardless of that wording. The precision required for the wording of a questionnaire is of a lesser degree than that required for final recommendations.

Finally, it is not the job of the chair to "make all happy". Indeed, I have yet to participate in any policy process anywhere that makes all participants equally happy. Further, the general rule of thumb regarding a policy process is that the final product is probably fair if participants in its shaping are equally unhappy about what they had to concede to reach consensus agreement. It is the job of the chair to move us toward consensus, not unanimity of happiness, and to fulfill our charge within the allotted timespan.

Regards,
Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC