[Ws2-jurisdiction] Hypothetical #1 for Review and Discussion by Subgroup

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 23:40:34 UTC 2017

Thanks for your views, Parminder.

I'll look forward to everyone's responses to the hypothetical, the strawman
participant in this group, it really behooves you to jump into this
discussion.

I won't reply to Parminder's specific response; I'd rather that other
members do that.  However, I have a couple of "big picture" observations
that I'd like to share, and see if people think there is merit in them (or
not).

I think there's an overarching premise or presumption that's being missed
here.  That is the presumption that ICANN should be subject to the rule of
law; more specifically, that ICANN should be subject to antitrust laws and
intellectual property laws and privacy laws and health laws and labor laws
and civil rights laws and anti-corruption laws, etc., etc. -- all of the
laws that make up a body of national law. As far as I know, these are laws
that exist at a national level.  There are treaties and conventions
designed to harmonize the laws of different nations (and to deal with
differences between those laws), but these are not in themselves laws that
would apply to any entity.

It's my understanding that there is no "international law" that would
impose these types of laws, or indeed the rule of law, on any entity such
as ICANN.  As such, it's my understanding that there is no "international
law" that ICANN can be moved to.

On the other hand the treaties and conventions generally bring the laws of
the signatory nations into fairly close harmony or at least coordination.
As a result, the relevant laws of one signatory are not terribly different
than that of another.  Taking treaties, conventions, legal history, etc.,
all together, there is a fairly well-harmonized web of laws of different
nations at the national level.  (There are of course areas where there are
greater differences, and even the smaller differences are not
indistinguishable.)

As mentioned above, the premise is that ICANN should be subject to the rule
of law, and to the types of laws that exist at a national level.  Further,
that adherence to these laws is overall, a positive influence on keeping
ICANN accountable and allowing ICANN to set and operate its policies.
Thus, ICANN needs to be subject to the laws of some country.  I'd be
interested to see how comfortable (or uncomfortable) members of the
subgroup are with that premise.  (As a side note, this seems incompatible
with the idea of "immunity.")

A further premise that implements the prior premise is that US law is a
reasonable set of laws to be used for that purpose, and that US courts are
reasonable venues for the resolution of disputes involving ICANN.  More
specifically, given the mandate of this Subgroup, the premise is that US
law and courts are reasonably well suited to keeping ICANN accountable, and
for the operation of ICANN's policies.  I'd be interested to see how
comfortable (or uncomfortable) members of the subgroup are with this
premise.

ICANN is, of course, subject to the laws of a number of other jurisdictions
where it has a presence, and may be subject to litigation in those
jurisdictions, but we can put that aside for the moment. Similarly, there
may be other jurisdictions that are also reasonable for such use, and each
would have their trade-offs with any other.  But, unless we identify
intractable problems with accountability or ICANN's ability to operate, I'm
not sure whether that's relevant.

In looking at US law (or any other applicable national law), we would need
to consider whether these laws are likely to interfere with efforts
(including those of the multistakeholder community) to hold ICANN
accountable, or with ICANN's ability to set and implement its policies.  On
the other hand, we would also need to consider whether these laws are
likely to protect (and even enhance) efforts to hold ICANN accountable
(including multistakeholder efforts), and to protect ICANN's ability to set
and implement its policies.

In the abstract, without citing any law or any ICANN policy or action, one
could postulate that some national law could interfere with ICANN's
accountability or operation of policies.  That would be true of any set of
laws (even "international laws").  The converse would also be true (that
some national law could protect ICANN's accountability or operation of
policies).  As such, it doesn't seem helpful (in my view) to operate at
that level of abstraction.

Rather, I think it's more helpful to deal with concrete facts -- actual
experiences and specific hypotheticals grounded in fact (specific laws,
specific actions, etc.).  We are making efforts in that direction.  The
review of ICANN's litigation is one such effort.  This effort should give
us useful data on the extent to which US law has been protective of, or
interfered with, ICANN's accountability or operation of policies.  Our
questionnaire is another such effort.

Apologies for going on at length.  I look forward to your thoughts.

Greg