[Ws2-jurisdiction] [EXTERNAL] issues on applicable law

Mike Rodenbaugh mike at rodenbaugh.com
Mon Sep 11 21:17:19 UTC 2017

Just noting that I represent a sizable number of ROs and registrars in
dealings with ICANN; but these views are my own, not my clients'.  Agreed
it would be good to have perspective from other contracted parties or their
representatives.

Mike Rodenbaugh
RODENBAUGH LAW
tel/fax:  +1.415.738.8087
http://rodenbaugh.com

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It would be really helpful if some of the* registrars and gTLD registry
> operators *in this group could provide their perspective on the issue of
> choice of governing law and venue in ICANN contracts!  If need be, I will
> send the request to the CCWG Plenary and/or the RrSG and RySG, but it makes
> sense to start within the Subgroup.  I look forward to responses.
>
> Greg
>
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Mike Rodenbaugh <mike at rodenbaugh.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Note that ICANN already has assumed potential contractual liability in --
>> at least -- every country of any Registry Operator, since no Registry
>> Agreement requires any forum for dispute, nor choice of law.  So far, there
>> has been no chaos, and afaik only two lawsuits by Registry Operators (both
>> in the US - .Africa and Donuts).
>>
>> So, maybe it is best to leave it open in ICANN's contracts, allowing them
>> to be sued (at least) in both the US and/or the RO's country.
>>

>> Mike Rodenbaugh
>> RODENBAUGH LAW
>> tel/fax:  +1.415.738.8087 <(415)%20738-8087>
>> http://rodenbaugh.com
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Phil Corwin <psc at vlaw-dc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Well put -- especially " ambiguity and uncertainty are the enemy of
>>> accountability".
>>>
>>> Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
>>> Virtualaw LLC
>>> 1155 F Street, NW
>>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=1155+F+Street,+NW+%0D+Suite+1050+%0D+Washington,+DC+20004&entry=gmail&source=g>
>>> Suite 1050
>>> Washington, DC 20004
>>> 202-559-8597/Direct
>>> 202-559-8750/Fax
>>> 202-255-6172/Cell
>>>
>>> Twitter: @VlawDC
>>>
>>> "Luck is the residue of design" -- Branch Rickey

>>> wMFAg&c=MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=62cJFOifzm6X_GRlaq8Mo8TjDmr
>>> xdYahOP8WDDkMr4k
>>> &m=WCjv7z0Nza1tNJQJiHnGUpHMklTqTn52IfIOcBKzBtw&s=3nEqt43-48p
>>> 3-o5fgYdwVLwTOmy
>>> BSWh5nAGRz6Iegyo&e=
>>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.bakom.admin.ch_&d=DwMFAg&c=MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=62cJFOifzm6X_GRlaq8Mo8TjDmrxdYahOP8WDDkMr4k&m=WCjv7z0Nza1tNJQJiHnGUpHMklTqTn52IfIOcBKzBtw&s=3nEqt43-48p3-o5fgYdwVLwTOmyBSWh5nAGRz6Iegyo&e=>

>>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__igf201
>>> 7.swiss_&d=DwMFA
>>> g&c=MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=62cJFOifzm6X_GRlaq8Mo8TjDmrxdYa
>>> hOP8WDDkMr4k&m=W
>>> Cjv7z0Nza1tNJQJiHnGUpHMklTqTn52IfIOcBKzBtw&s=0es-R80LxKqpCDN
>>> cQ2Rk6O0ALSAJloN