[Ws2-jurisdiction] RES: mandate re ccTLD issues

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Mon Sep 18 16:25:38 UTC 2017

First, and most importantly, this is an issue seeking a problem.  Since it is motivated by the prospect of US court behavior interfering with ccTLDs, it is at least useful to acknowledge that the only time anyone asked the US courts to do so they rejected the request.  There is no reason that I know of to think that any subsequent request would be treated differently – and, indeed, as I wrote in an earlier post every reason to think that US courts will reason as the DC Circuit did and follow its rationale.  In short, the first point is that no recommendation on this issue is needed at all because it is addressing a non-concern that is really just a non-threat, kind of like making sure ICANN is not subject to a Board coup.  You can imagine it but it isn’t realistic and thus not worth our time.

If we were to think about it, then I have to imagine that the proponents are looking at the second bundle of categories.  That is, my reading is that proponents are asking that ICANN be recommended to seek immunity from seizure under law.  Since one can readily imagine such seizure actions be lodged globally, and since as we’ve discussed frequently ICANN is subject to legal process almost everywhere it operates, the only recommendation that makes any sense would be to seek some form of global immunity from seizure for ccTLDs.  Stated thus, this becomes another of those “nice to have international law” issues that in practice has no chance of being realized, and thus should be opposed on impracticality grounds.

My view is that this issue does not merit further consideration and should not be the basis of any recommendation to the Board

Paul

Paul Rosenzweig

 <mailto:paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com> paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com

O: +1 (202) 547-0660