[Ws2-jurisdiction] RES: RES: [Ws2-hr] .cat

Thiago Braz Jardim Oliveira thiago.jardim at itamaraty.gov.br
Wed Sep 20 17:14:08 UTC 2017

Dear Paul,

While I think it may not have been your intention, your email constitutes a direct attack against my dignity. You said that I'm wrong and that I know I'm wrong, or in other words that I'm deliberately portraying as truth something I know to be false. I'd kindly ask you to abide by ICANN expected standards of behaviour and withdraw that assertion. Thank you.

As to the substance of your comment, my point is that Spanish authorities might have been able to effectively take down .cat domain names - with worldwide implications - provided that .cat registry's offices it raided operated the infrastructure for the .cat domain name. And provided these offices were within Spain, only Spanish authorities had the necessary authority to take forceful measures against these offices in ways that affect the worldwide services operated from within these offices. (This is at least the jurisdictional principle involved, and we need not debate on the facts of this particular registry case)

Now the same principle applies to ICANN as to any other entity located in the territory of any other country. The local authorities, and only the local authorities, will be able to enforce prescriptions affecting services that an entity provides worldwide but which are operated from within the local country.

Hence I reiterate my previous assertion: the United States, the country in whose territory ICANN is based (as well as where are located its DNS management activities), is in the unique position to enforce law prescriptions against ICANN, to enforce its sanctions regime against ICANN, to shutdown ICANN, to interfere with ICANN's DNS management activities.

Best regards,

Thiago