[Ws2-jurisdiction] Further actions on my latest MODIFIED /Softened SUGGESTIONS

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 21:59:04 UTC 2017

Dear Kavouss,

I believe the point 4 and 5 you are making is thoroughly discussed by the
group and addressed by the below recommendation:

"ICANN needs to bring awareness of these issues to registrars. ICANN should
clarify to registrars that the mere existence of their RAA with ICANN does
not cause them to be required to comply with OFAC sanctions. ICANN should
also explore various tools to remind registrars to understand the
applicable laws under which they operate and to accurately reflect those
laws in their customer relationships."

If we add the examples you are making, there will be a lot of
interpretations about how and why these registrars applied OFAC and it will
cause problems for the implementation of the recommendation. Especially
because Godaddy is a US-based entity and is following OFAC not because of
its contract with ICANN but because it has to as a US-based entity. I
appreciate that you found these examples but I don't think they should be
included.

Farzaneh

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Kavouss Arasteh <kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com