[Ws2-jurisdiction] Response Requested: Proposed Changes to OFAC Recommendation

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 20:23:51 UTC 2017

All,

It would be good to hear from more participants regarding these suggested
changes to the OFAC Recommendation.  The OFAC Recommendation needs to be
finalized on tomorrow's meeting.  There has been ample time to review the
draft and the suggested changes.  The more responses we have on the list,
the easier it will be to finalize the recommendation on the call.

Kavouss,

To clarify, the factual point I requested was examples where non-US
registrars (without OFAC obligations) had refused business or terminated
registrant relationships based on OFAC compliance.  The Resello example
doesn't cover this point. Obviously, the GoDaddy and OnlineNIC examples do
not cover this point either.  Media reports have been mentioned, but the
Subgroup has not seen these reports, and therefore can't cite them in its
Report.

The Report does deal with the evidence the Subgroup have seen.  This
relates to non-US registrars posting T&Cs with OFAC provisions.  The Report
covers the possibility of mistaken application of OFAC obligations by
non-US registrars without the obligation to comply.

The Subgroup has not recognized an issue of the RAA not being "respected,"
because no one has identified a section of the RAA that would be violated.

If OFAC is irrelevant to the Resello example, why should it be reflected in
the report?  I haven't seen any support in the Subgroup for inclusion.

As for the "silence" in the RAA -- if the Subgroup sees this as an issue,
and wishes to consider a recommendation to change the RAA, then there would
be a basis for considering inclusion in the Report.  I have not seen any
support for this.

All,

I would like to offer an observation.In my view (and based on 10 years of
experience in Working Groups), it has not generally been effective to ask
someone not to oppose a suggestion they do not favor.  What has been
effective is to persuade someone to view the suggestion favorably.  In
other words, opposition/non-support won't be eliminated by request; it
needs to be eliminated by persuading the person to see things differently
so that their underlying position changes. This is most effective when it
is coupled by a willingness to change the "ask" so that it can be supported
by the other person(s), ideally in collaboration with those other persons.
In the end, the positions in a Working Group (or Subgroup) Report need to
be the consensus (aka rough consensus) of the Subgroup, not the views of
any one participant.  The sooner that participants transfer "ownership" of
a position from the individual to the group, the more likely that the group
will adopt that position.

Of course, this is only what I have seen in my experience in Working Groups
; it may be more effective in other types of groups to seek "non-objection"
as a path to decision-making without also seeking to change people's views.

This observation is offered only to assist this Subgroup in reaching
decisions, both now and in the next very few weeks. Apologies for the
philosophical digression.

Best regards,

Greg