[Ws2-ombudsman] Update in light of Monday's Call

Lars Hoffmann lars.hoffmann at icann.org
Sat Mar 4 01:52:39 UTC 2017

Dear Subteam Members,

We hope this email finds you well.

We understand that members of the Subteam have raised some concerns regarding their involvement in the procurement process for the Ombudsman review.

As previously mentioned, the ICANN procurement process is in line with industry standards and best practices and ensures confidentiality, impartiality, fairness and discretion to the bidders and finalists.  In this regard, the identity of bidders, their proposals, details of evaluations of the bids and their pricing remain confidential.

However, we consulted the Subteam in various key steps along the way to ensure that the Subteam’s work would benefit from the output of the Independent Assessment of the Ombudsman Office.  These included the drafting of the ‘Scope’ of the Assessment, the criteria by which the bids were to be evaluated, required skills, methodology as well as deliverables and timelines. We incorporated almost all the Subteam’s edits and suggestions into the final RFP project overview document, which became the foundation for the bids, our evaluation surrounding the bids and the executed agreement between ICANN and the selected assessor.

We will provide you with relevant details of the winning bidder at the next Subgroup call. We anticipate that you will have the opportunity to meet and interact with the selected assessor in Copenhagen.  You will be able to share your views, identify relevant individuals for the assessor to talk to, and suggest information that should be considered for the review.  Moreover, during the course of the assessor’s review, we expect there to be regular updates from the assessor.

Throughout this process, given that ICANN is evolving as an organization, there were various factors which we had to consider and going forward, we’re looking towards having a clearer path for future reviews e.g., providing better clarity in relation to the community’s involvement in the selection process.

We look forward to the Subteam call and hope that our collective efforts will yield productive results.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Lars