[Ws2-staff_acct] Consensus Call for sending Rev 1.5 to the full meeting for a first reading.

avri doria avri at apc.org
Thu Sep 14 14:32:41 UTC 2017

Hi,

Re: Update after the Staff Accountability Mtg 27 of 13 September 2017
and consensus call for sending Rev 1.5 to the full meeting for a first
reading.

During the meeting we worked through the comments and changes which had
been pending from Mtg 26. In all but one case, we reached consensus on
the document.

The one instance of open discussion concerns recommendation 4a

**

 1. *

    ICANN Organization should work with the community to:

    *

*

     1.

        Develop and publish service level guidelines (similar to the
        Service Level Agreement for the IANA Numbering Services) that
        clearly define all services provided by ICANN to contracted
        parties and the service level target for each service.

*

The original recommendations had been for a service level agreements
(SLA). As there had been strong reaction on SLAs because of their legal
nature and the difficulty involved in negotiating such SLAs, the
recommendation was changed to guidelines. In response, there was
consensus, though not unanimity, for recommending guidelines instead of
agreements.

During the consensus call, there was one request that we wait until
there had been time for a group member to check with the groups in the
Contracted Parties House of the GNSO, on whose behalf the original
recommendation had been made. It was argued that guidelines were an
unreliable mechanism and that it would be better to develop SLAs.

Because of the tight schedule and the intermittent nature of sub-team
member attendance, it was recommended by others that we send the
sub-team consensus document on to the full meeting leaving the issue of
4a open for discussion in the full meeting.

As the number of participants in the meeting was small, the compromise
accepted by the group was to check the consensus with the members of the
group who had not been in attendance (most of you).  For that reason I
am doing this online consensus call.

The deadline for sending documents for consideration to the next full
meeting (27 Sept) is 20 September (Bernie, please correct me if I have
this wrong).  This consensus call is scheduled to end 19 September at
1200 UTC.  Note, there is only one other full meeting between now and
the Abu Dhabi meeting on 18 Oct.

*Consensus Question: is there consensus in the sub-team for sending the
Rev 1.5 of the document*

*<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vH5su7SDGE0i_rTstbYJ7tIaOFuRnV4dfqpwMTPoYa8/edit?usp=sharing>
(pdf attached)*

*to the full meeting, with the request that they also determine whether
we submit 4a with a recommendation for service level guidelines or
Service Level Agreements.*

Note: the alternative, if this consensus call fails, is that the agenda
of the next Staff Accountability meeting on 28 September 13UTC to focus
on this subject and that we submit in time for the last full meeting for
Abu Dhabi. This would be very last minute and would give the sub-team
limited time for resolving any pending issues that may emerge in the
first reading before the Abu Dhabi meeting. If the consensus call
succeeds, we will dedicate the September 28 meeting to responding to
issues from the reading in the full meeting.

Additionally, during the meeting several comments were made about the
format of the document.  I have done some cleanup and would appreciate
that those of who do read the report let me know of any format &c.
problems you might see, so that I can fix them.

thank you

avri