[Ws2-transparency] Draft WS2 Transparency Document

Schaefer, Brett Brett.Schaefer at heritage.org
Thu Oct 20 14:11:01 UTC 2016

Michael,

Well done, I appreciate the effort made to draft this document. I’m looking forward to seeing the next version with more detail on proactive disclosure policies. I have a few brief comments:

·         The sentence on page 9 starting “Another way to facilitate… “ seems incomplete.

·         As you correctly note, ICANN should provide “provide reasonable assistance to requesters who need it, particularly where they are disabled or unable to identify adequately the information they are seeking.” From what I understand, ICANN sometimes denies DIDP requests if the information is already publicly available. Not all requests come from individuals or businesses that are intimately familiar with ICANN. They may not know where to find the information sought or how that information is categorized or referred to (jargon) inside ICANN. In these circumstances, I think reasonable assistance should encompass a simple response informing the requester where to find the information they are seeking.

·         On proactive disclosure policies, I think we need to be clear that “political activities” includes venders hired to provide education/engagement services, e.g. those provided by Rice Hadley Gates LLC and Albright Stonebridge Group LLC, and similar activities.

·         On proactive disclosure policies, I propose that ICANN adopt a policy of not contracting with any vendor insisting on confidentiality clauses that preclude disclosure of fundamental information, such as services contracted and pricing, to the ICANN community.

Best,

Brett