[Ws2-transparency] WS2 Transparency Recommendations

Michael Karanicolas mkaranicolas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 17:10:32 UTC 2018

Hi,

Thanks very much for your quick response. I think our final deadline
is March 2, so next week should be fine for discussing, if that is
possible. For the sake of clarity, I think that the proposed
recommendations can be understood as:

1. ICANN should, as a matter of urgency, take steps to identify and
apply principles according to which attorney- client privilege shall
be waived in the interests of transparency, and/or the availability of
attorney-client privilege disregarded when contemplating making a
voluntary disclosure. This process should involve further public
consultation.
2. Recalling the commitment to transparency in Article 3 Section 3.1
of the Bylaws, the mere fact that attorney-client privilege is
available to ICANN in respect of a particular contemplated disclosure
shall not be considered, of itself, reason to assert that privilege or
otherwise withhold disclosure.
3. The mere fact that disclosure might assist a claimant or potential
claimant in a case pursuant to the Independent Review Process shall
not, of itself, be considered sufficient reason to assert
attorney-client privilege where that privilege is available.
4. When considering whether to make disclosure in connection the IRP,
ICANN shall have regard to the “Purposes of the IRP”, as set out in
Section 4.3 of the Bylaws, and shall consider those purposes as
amongst ICANN’s objectives.

I've written back to ICANN legal soliciting their comments as well,
and asking for them to come back by COB Feb 13.

Best,

Michael