[Ws2-transparency] WS2 Transparency Recommendations

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Wed Feb 14 20:45:32 UTC 2018

Michael,

As I understand things based on your latest mail below, we will not reopen this issue but will maintain our report as-is, with a minority statement.

In my opinion, that is the correct course of action.

While I respect the opinions of others on this matter, my concern is that in the U.S. most courts could take any such waiver and broaden it to the entire subject matter.

This kind of waiver could place ICANN in jeopardy with respect to probably any litigation, exactly what we agreed not to do in Recommendation #15 where we said privilege-waiver would not be advised where disclosure would be harmful to an ongoing or contemplated lawsuit or negotiation.

This suggested change would be a reversal of that recommendation, indeed qualifying it as a significant change.

Best regards,
David

David McAuley
Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager
Verisign Inc.
703-948-4154