[CCWG-Accountability] Related work on ICANN's Public Interest

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 19:41:06 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Thank you very much for all contributions

I understand your anxiety, your perplexity and your fear to touch this very
sensitive issue.

I encourage you all that you need to tackle the  issue matter  how
difficult and controversial it would be.

We must clearly mention the following

What is the description of the term accountability in a concise, precise
and realistic / pragmatic matter within the frame work of international law?

We need to clearly and specifically mention what are the Legal Framework
which would be applicable to the transitioned function? ,no doubt it should
not be Californian Law as we do not wish to be at the mercy of Californian
Judges

We need to clearly and specifically mention what is the accountability
environment that we are talking about?

Who is accountable to whom and on what?

 What are the mechanism (s) which should be duly put in place to implement
that accountability?

Who are the members of that mechanism?

How multistakeholders, including Governments should act according to their
role and responsibilities?
Apart from governments representation whose legitimacy are enshrined with
their credential form Their respective Governments (participation
Credentials) what are the legitimacy of other multistakeholder ? .No doubt
the notion of someone speaking on behalf of herself or himself is totally
illegitimate and unacceptable

What are the partitioning in representation and footing between and of the
four informally recognized categories of multistakeholders?

Governments

Civil Society

Private Sector

Technical Community and Academic

How the legitimacy of each group together with their accreditation should
examine and ensured? ,

Who define and approve the terms and conditions and scope of accountability?

What are the criteria to determine whether or not those terms, conditions
and scope have been implemented?

Who are policy making entities?

Who are the policy implementing entities?

What is the policy in question?

What is the relation between the current A o C in force and the envisaged
accountability?

What is the future of ICANN BY LAWS?

Who can amend that?

How can it be amended?

Does the accountability terms and condition form part of Bylaw:

Why should it not be renamed to something else such as Convention, Charter,
and Constitution and so on?

Should the current structure of ICANN be retained?

If not, what would be the revised structure of ICANN?

What would be the role of NTIA after transition?

Should it be given the authority to continue its legacy on some taks such
as contract with Verisign?

There are many questions to be answered.

Regards

Kavouss