[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for CCWG ACCT Session #18 31 March

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Apr 5 05:25:31 UTC 2015

Hi All

I am unable to attend the legal team meeting on the 8th, but will be
grateful if the meaning of the term 'community' is sorted out, and if
needed legal advice taken. It is especially important because the any
final proposal should address the intention of the original NTIA
declaration to transition its current functions to the 'global
multistakeholder community' , which to me appears to refer to global
public (although, in my view, in an inadequate manner). If ICANN's
enhanced accountability to its SOs and ASs - or the 'community' engaged
with names and numbers functions - is to be taken to be meeting the
needs of transitioning NTIA's role to the 'global multistakeholder
community' or the 'global public', the logic has to be established and
explained. I am right now unable to see the logic.

Also, the jurisdiction question remains basic. If one prefers concrete
examples rather than a larger political discussion: I think it would be
universal knowledge that as per the applicable US sanctions, no party or
company based in Crimea - and I think also Iran and Sudan - can legally
apply for a gTLD from ICANN. Tomorrow, God forbid, it could be Russia,
Venezuela, India, or China, and much more easily a number of smaller
nations. Is such a situation tenable? I understand that a number of
stress tests are going to be made on any final proposal. Has the
contingency of US sanctions on different times on different countries,
which if fully enforced would prohibit any US entity to do any kind of
business with those countries, taken into account as one stress test? If
not, please do include. It is one of the most important stress
situations. It is easy to see that any final proposal that keeps ICANN
within US jurisdiction will fail this very real stress test. The only
solution is an international jurisdiction for ICANN - but certainly
immunity from the jurisdiction of the one country which most frequently
imposes sanctions and on most number of countries. This is not a tirade
against the US, which has many good points to be said about it, it is
simply a fact that cannot be refused to be faced.

parminder