[CCWG-ACCT] The Board's take on the Mission Statement

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Dec 17 20:16:54 UTC 2015

At 17/12/2015 10:11 AM, Burr, Becky wrote:
>This is helpful Bruce.  I think the language re:
>allocation and assignment of names in the root
>as a result of policies works.  Also, I am
>relieved that the language re the permissible
>scope of ICANN policies is not a fundamental
>divide – at least from your perspective.  Thank
>you.  A couple of key points and questions:
>
>    * Reading carefully, it appears that the
> Board comments with respect to the Mission
> Statement that rise to the level of a public
> interest objection are limited to “the
> contractual enforcement issues.”  Can you confirm that this?
>    * Even though this is cast as “the
> contractual enforcement issues,” I take it that
> the board actually objects to the provision
> that says: “ICANN shall not impose regulations
> on services that use the Internet’s unique
> identifiers, or the content that such services
> carry or provide.”  [I make that assumption
> because I don’t know why the board would object
> to the following statement:  "ICANN shall have
> the ability to negotiate, enter into and
> enforce agreements with contracted parties in
> service of its Mission.”]  Can you confirm this?
>    * Could you attempt to be concrete about why
> the Board objects to the regulatory prohibition
> notwithstanding the following explanatory text,
> which you previously indicated is not objectionable:
>    1.     The prohibition on the regulation of
> “content” is not intended to prevent ICANN
> policies from taking into account the use of
> domain names as identifiers in various natural languages.
>
>    2.   The issues identified in Specification
> 1 to the Registry Agreement and Specification 4
> to the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (the
> so-called “Picket Fence”) are intended and
> understood to be within the scope of ICANN’s
> Mission.  A side-by-side comparison of the
> formulation of the Picket Fence in the
> respective agreements is attached for reference.

Picket Fence issues are clearly within scope for
ICANN, but they are not the ONLY thing in scope.
The Picket Fence identified a subset of issues
that contracted parties agree can be altered by
PDP. There are other terms in contracts that
CANNOT be altered by a PDP, but they can still be in scope.

>3.   For the avoidance of uncertainty, the
>language of existing registry agreements and
>registrar accreditation agreements should be
>grandfathered.  [ADDITIONAL SUPPLEMENTARY
>LANGUAGE AGREED TO BUT NOT IN 3RD DRAFT
>PROPOSAL:  This means that the parties who
>entered into existing contracts intended (and
>intend) to be bound by those agreements.  It
>means that neither a contracting party nor
>anyone else should be able to bring a case that
>any provisions of such agreements on their face
>are ultra vires.  It does not, however, modify
>any contracting party’s right to challenge the
>other party¹s interpretation of that language.
>It does not modify the right of any person or
>entity materially affected (as defined in the
>Bylaws) by an action or inaction in violation
>ICANN¹s Bylaws to seek redress through an
>IRP.  Nor does it modify the scope of ICANN’s Mission.]

We still need a legal opinion (or confirmation)
that the wording will allow contract renewal. And
I have still not seen how those New gTLD
Applications for which contracts are not yet
signed at the time the Bylaws come into effect
will be suitable "grandfathered" as well. Or is
it the intent that those who happen to have their
signing delayed will operate under a completely different regime?

Alan