[CCWG-ACCT] The Board's take on the Mission Statement

Burr, Becky Becky.Burr at neustar.biz
Thu Dec 17 15:11:25 UTC 2015

This is helpful Bruce.  I think the language re: allocation and assignment of names in the root as a result of policies works.  Also, I am relieved that the language re the permissible scope of ICANN policies is not a fundamental divide – at least from your perspective.  Thank you.  A couple of key points and questions:

  *   Reading carefully, it appears that the Board comments with respect to the Mission Statement that rise to the level of a public interest objection are limited to “the contractual enforcement issues.”  Can you confirm that this?

  *   Even though this is cast as “the contractual enforcement issues,” I take it that the board actually objects to the provision that says: “ICANN shall not impose regulations on services that use the Internet’s unique identifiers, or the content that such services carry or provide.”  [I make that assumption because I don’t know why the board would object to the following statement:  "ICANN shall have the ability to negotiate, enter into and enforce agreements with contracted parties in service of its Mission.”]  Can you confirm this?

  *   Could you attempt to be concrete about why the Board objects to the regulatory prohibition notwithstanding the following explanatory text, which you previously indicated is not objectionable:

1.     The prohibition on the regulation of “content” is not intended to prevent ICANN policies from taking into account the use of domain names as identifiers in various natural languages.

2.   The issues identified in Specification 1 to the Registry Agreement and Specification 4 to the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (the so-called “Picket Fence”) are intended and understood to be within the scope of ICANN’s Mission.  A side-by-side comparison of the formulation of the Picket Fence in the respective agreements is attached for reference.

3.   For the avoidance of uncertainty, the language of existing registry agreements and registrar accreditation agreements should be grandfathered.  [ADDITIONAL SUPPLEMENTARY LANGUAGE AGREED TO BUT NOT IN 3RD DRAFT PROPOSAL:  This means that the parties who entered into existing contracts intended (and intend) to be bound by those agreements.  It means that neither a contracting party nor anyone else should be able to bring a case that any provisions of such agreements on their face are ultra vires.  It does not, however, modify any contracting party’s right to challenge the other party¹s interpretation of that language. It does not modify the right of any person or entity materially affected (as defined in the Bylaws) by an action or inaction in violation ICANN¹s Bylaws to seek redress through an IRP.  Nor does it modify the scope of ICANN’s Mission.]

4.   The CCWG anticipates that the drafters may need to modify provisions of the Articles of Incorporation to align with the revised Bylaws.

NOTE:  Not a trick question Bruce, I’m really trying to identify a way forward.  Although some of us were comfortable relying on a clear and limited Mission Statement, many – certainly most participants who expressed an opinion on this issue - felt that a clear prohibition on certain types of regulation was mandatory, particularly in light of the “legislative history” of this language (it appeared in both the first and second draft report, so its removal would be construed against the concept).  To move the ball forward, we need to have a conversation that goes beyond the mere assertion that “ICANN is not a regulator.”  Is there a formulation of the regulatory prohibition that the Board could accept, or is there additional explanatory text that would make the Board comfortable that the Bylaws drafters had sufficient direction to proceed.  I am pressing because I have the sense that while we may not that far apart, we could really reach an impasse on this matter.  Let’s not worry specifically about placement, but focus on the concept.

Becky

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
Office: +1.202.533.2932  Mobile: +1.202.352.6367 / neustar.biz<http://www.neustar.biz>