[CCWG-ACCT] Boating in January. Was: Work plan in January

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 15:49:49 UTC 2015

Dear Bruce,

Please find the following citations from the Board's comments (just  as few
examples) on CCWG 3d proposals

see belows

*I**ntroductory Part *

 “*The    Board    will    have    to    consider    whether    its
 concerns    were    addressed    and  *

*whether    the    final    recommendations    (including    the
 specifics    within    those    recommendations)    are    in    the
 global    public interest”    *

Recommendation 1

Part A

“With  regard    to    Paragraph    55,    bullet    4,    on    the
 community    involvement    in    defining    the    public    interest,
 the    Board    supports    that    the    development    of    a
  definition    of    the    “global    public    interest”    should
 involve    the    full    community,    including    the    Board.
 That    is    aligned    with    the    work    that    is    already
 underway    and    consistent    with    the    strategic    plan.
 The    language    suggested    by    the    CCWG    for    the
 Articles    of    Incorporation    should    be    modified,    however,
 to    reflect    that    once    developed,    the    organization
 will    be    guided    by    a    clear    definition    of    global
 public    interest.    The    suggestion    that    “global    public
 interest”   should    be    left    to    “interpretation”    could
 lead    to

unpredictable    and    conflicting    results,    and    the    Board
 sees    an  important    role    in    helping    to    define    the
 global    public    interest    as    it    relates    to    ICANN’s
 Mission” “

PART C

*To  reinforce    the    importance    of    the    concerns    raised
 above,    should    the    Board’s    comments    not    be    directly
 addressed,    the    Board    would    have    to    consider,    as
 specified    in    the    16    October    2014    resolution,
 whether    it    believes    the    specifics    of    the
 recommendation    meet    the    global    public    interest *   *

Recommendation 5

“the    Board    would    have    to    consider,    as    specified
  in    the    16    October    2014

 resolution,    whether    it    believes    this    recommendation
 meets    the    public    interest    and    whether    there    would
 be    a    need    to    initiate    a    formal    dialogue    with
 the    CCWG    over    the    proposed    edits    to    the    Mission
 Statement.        The    Board’s    concerns    could    be    addressed
 in    other    ways”.

Recommendation 7

“*To  reinforce    the    importance    of    the    concerns    raised
 above,    should    the    Board’s    comments    not    be    directly
 addressed,    the    Board    would    have    to    consider,    as
 specified    in    the    16    October    2014    resolution,
 whether    it    believes    the    specifics    of    this
 recommendation    meet    the    global    public    interest    and
 whether    there    would    be    a    need    to    initiate    a
  formal    dialogue    with    the    CCWG    over    the    timing
 of    addressing    the    human    rights    issue.    Set    forth
 here    is    a    proposal    that    would    address    the
 Board’s    concerns.        **The    Board’s    concerns    could    be
 addressed    in    other    ways*. ““

Recommendation 12

*Include  the    principles    that    were    included    in   the
 Board’s    October    2014    resolution    on    consideration    of
 Work    Stream    1    efforts,    including:    a    requirement    for
 consensus    recommendations;    dialogue    if    the    Board
 believes    that    any    of    the    recommendations *

* are    not    in    the    global    public    interest;    requirement
 **that    a    2/3    vote    of    the    Board    is    required    to
 reject    any    recommendation    after    consultation;    and
 agreement    that    the    Board    will    not    change    the
 consensus    recommendations    on    its    own.    *

In these Examples the Board expressed its desire to change, revise, modify
or replace certain parts  of  a given Recommendations* .*

However, it made an ULTIMATUM that, if such changes, modifications,
replacement and ... are not accepted ,it WILL  REJECT  THESE TEXTS  ON THE
GROPUND  THAT THEY ARE INCONSISTENT WITH PUBLIC INTERTESTS ?
Since the board is not sure what would be the interpretation of public
interest see below

“Global    public    interest”  should    be    left    to
 “interpretation”    could    lead    to    unpredictable    and
 conflicting    results,    and    the    Board    sees    an  important
 role    in    helping    to    define    the    global    public
 interest    as    it    relates    to    ICANN’s   Mission”

How ,on the one hand clearly specifies that there is no clear and agreed
definition for “GPI” and .on the other hand makes a recourse to the
undefined definition and intimidate that should the CCWG does accept
Board’s suggestion it will VETO THEM on the ground that they are
inconsistent with “GPI”?

May you please clarify the matter?
Kavouss