[CCWG-ACCT] Unintended Consequences of the CCWG proposal

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Tue Jul 7 15:58:25 UTC 2015

It is worth exploring the extent to which pre-approval processes can be baked into ICANN's bylaws that con provide an acceptable level of assurance that the board and the community are on the same page on those two issues.  I do not think we only need to explore rejection rights by the community on these two issues, but rather, we should also explore community pre-approval powers, and how far we can get with those under an Empowered Designator model.

This is similar to how GTLD policy is supposed to be made under ICANN's existing bylaws.  ICANN's existing bylaws provide that the policy is first approved by the GNSO Council before it is passed up to the board for final approval and adoption.  The board can disregard the GNSO's approved plan, ONLY provided they follow a process laid out in the bylaws that requires a consultation and negotiation and working together to try to find mutual agreement.  The problem we have today is that the bylaws are not enforceable against the board, so when the board violates this process, there isn't anything we can really do about it.  But since we are creating the community power to enforce the bylaws, we would be able to require the ICANN board to abide by this bylaws process under the new and improved ICANN for budget and strat plan final decisions.

This isn't a revolutionary idea, but rather bakes a community pre-approval process into the bylaws, which will have teeth.  And it is only for these two more challenging rights, budget and strategic plan under empowered designator, where we need to consider using such a mechanism.  At the end of the day, we'd get to the same place: board and community in agreement on these two important issues, but perhaps without all the upheaval and concern that membership model instills.  Holly said on the call there isn't any reason we couldn't do it this way.  So let's explore it and see if it gets us where we need to go.

Thanks,
Robin