[CCWG-ACCT] A modest proposal to start the week

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Jun 1 14:45:16 UTC 2015

On 01-Jun-15 10:35, Malcolm Hutty wrote:
> What is it you fear that these "unaccountable UA" might do?

That they not be accountable to the stakeholder they are allegedly
accountable to.

As has been brought up by more than one of our advisers, if they are the
main point of ICANN accountability, it must be possible to guarantee
their accountability as much as we need to guarantee the Board's
accountability when it hold the token for ICANN accountability.

Having been a member or observer of many of these entities I have fond
that they are often disorganized, ruled by a few strong personalities in
a sea of apathy, and given to making up rules on the fly when needed.
They do not even necessarily follow the rules htey have agreed to in the
charers, though some do, not all of them.  And for the most part, though
they are supposed to transparent, most aren't.

So what i fear is that they are accountable to none except the few
strong personalities.

So if we want to base our trust in ICANN on a membership model, we need
to make sure it is at least as accountable as what we have now.

avri

---