[CCWG-ACCT] PTI Funding to cover ICANN crisis

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jun 3 09:56:25 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 03 June 2015 10:49 AM, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> As discussed during today's meeting, I would like to formally suggest
> that the CCWG propose that Upon the creation of PTI, ICANN will
> provide the equivalent of three years funding to PTI (both operational
> and R%D), and that PTI should hold these funds in escrow to cover any
> future situation where ICANN is not in a position to adequately find
> approved PTI budgets (the wording will clearly need to be refined).
> Furthermore, the amount provided by ICANN and held in escrow should be
> adjusted annually based on the then-current budget levels.
>
> There may need to be some adjustment of this to cover interest earned
> on the escrow funds, but I suspect there are standard business terms
> that cover this sort of thing.

The most peculiar feature of this process - by design or not - is that
it has no hierarchy of larger prior issues vis a vis the dependent
matters of detail. Whereby larger prior issues - whether one agrees with
a particular set/ view of them or not being a different matter - get
continually drowned by the much much down-the-line smaller details, a
discussion of which should normally fully depend on some kind of
resolution, or at least a clear placement of alternatives, of higher
prior issues..... Soon the whole process can get steered towards
discussion of minute details belonging to one universe of possibilities
rather than the other, which then makes the disagreements on higher
levels kind of redundant by default.... For someone seeking to
participate from the outside - outside of what would largely be an ICANN
plus's insider group - one is continually thrown off ones feet not
knowing what do do with higher level issues in the storm of discussions
of details which follow from certain conceptions that one may not be
willing to agree with. If one engages with them in any way, it begins to
be taken as a general agreement with that particular universe of
elements of an institutional design and its higher level givens. And if
one does not participate, one is simply thrown off the process, bec
here, to stay in is to be....

parminder