[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for Accountability ST-WP 11 March

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Wed Mar 11 13:11:03 UTC 2015

Dear all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CCWG Accountability Stress Tests WP call on 11 March
will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=52891846

Action Items

ACTION ITEM: Identify CWG liaison for ST-WP

ACTION ITEM: Sam to send text on DNSSEC and IANA function audit.

ACTION ITEM: Eberhard to suggest text to ensure that the FoI work is reflected

ACTION ITEM: put out another Doodle Poll for this time next week (with the option for more times
later in the day)

Notes

- Stress tests cannot be finally completed until we have final draft proposals from WPs. We want to
run through 25 stress tests in advance of Istanbul and have critical eye. Focus on those we have not

gone through.

- Cannot be detailed in third column. Let's identify potential gaps.

Stress Category I: Financial Crisis of Insolvency

- 5.6.7.8 in same block because same set of consequences - agreement to have same stress test?
Agreement

Any objections to Sam's added text?

-> Review of reserve fund is not mandatory

-> It's an independent review - not clear what review cycle is

= Reviewed periodically and independently

Stress Test 9

- Reviewed Sam's added text on existing measures

 Role of Ombudsman in terms of acting as a confidential place to lodge issues in terms of
consequences of corruption and whistleblowing. Chris Lahatte's suggested addition of this stress
test. This would be a subset of 9.

-> No objections to Sam's edits

Stress Category II. Failure to meet operational expectations

- Conclusions in right column are all draft. Suggestion to send it out to CWG.

-> Opposed to sending something to other third parties before we have sent it to CCWG due to need
for consensus

-> We could write to all CCWG to check.

-> No objections to a formal transmittal once it is approved by the CCWG

-> Some of these stress tests apply to CWG work. Undue formalism but need to be cautious about how
approach these things.

-> Could ask rapporteurs engaged in CWG to look at STs.

-> Opposed to subgroup of a subgroup making decisions on this. Document should be out in the open.

-> Will ensure they are aware of doing.

- Stress tests 1 and 2 are being addressed by CWG in services agreements and operational
discussions. Congress has insisted on looking at CWG and CCWG together and on need to see stress
tests. We are not making formal conclusions but useful to show it to them to inform work.

-> Publish docs, communicate, don't send report formally, and see if wish to share input

-> No formal CWG liaison in ST-WP.

ACTION ITEM: Identify CWG liaison for ST-WP

Stress test 11

Designed to be a serious stress test.

-> Need to have a way to hold staff accountable. IT declined making presentation when asked them.
Security issues are improved if people talk about this. -> Suggestion to add a measure on community
briefing regarding security breaches

-> Gap in third column - no current action in CCWG to add the above.

-> There needs to be a way to break up two separate issues: 1) internal measures; 2) security issues
as relates to SSR

= Heading to be added - after action report

-> For ICANN's work on DNSSEC, ICANN receives certification for how it maintains work on DNSSEC -
that is an existing accountability measure. There is also a requirement of audit for IANA function.

ACTION ITEM: Sam to send text on DNSSEC and IANA function audit.

Stress test 17

If ICANN is not responding to policy development or to a concern raised by SSAC, the community
should be able to force it to be addressed

Stress test 21

Related to the CWG appeals process request

Need to include FoI work/outcome

Suggest to rewrite the entire premise on which this Stress Test was written

This is a very sensitive issue for the GAC (suggestion to defer to Singapore GAC communiqué that
deals with the FOIWG outcome).

ACTION ITEM: Eberhard to suggest text to ensure that the FoI work is reflected

ACTION ITEM: put out another Doodle Poll for this time next week (with the option for more times
later in the day)

Next meeting TBA