[CCWG-ACCT] Transparency recap (Was: Contribution on Transparency Reforms for CCWG)

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Tue Nov 3 09:47:16 UTC 2015

Hello Brett,

>>  Require SO/AC action to initiate a review team? So a DIDP request by an individual that is denied is final unless they can convince 2 SOs/ACs to propose setting up a Review Team?

With respect to an individual or company that has had a DIDP request denied – I think the right thing is to develop an appropriate appeals process that is tailored for DIDP.   Presently the appeal for an individual member or company is to the Board’s reconsideration process – which is not ideal.   I think some sort of process that involves the ombudsman (with the relevant inspection rights) might be a better solution.

There is also a difference between a process (DIDP) that is intended for documents to be made public, and processes to obtain documents for use in a particular dispute (ie the equivalent of a legal discovery process) .   I have seen DIDP  information requests where the party is seeking private access to information that is not intended to be public (e.g private email communications between third parties etc).

I see the inspection rights being discussed in the context of a member as relating to material that is in the general public interest as agreed by the SOs and ACs to be made public.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin