[CCWG-ACCT] Board comments on the Mission statement

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 15:04:39 UTC 2015

At 07:41 PM 11/20/2015, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
>I have asked the legal staff at ICANN to provide some examples.
>
>Here is one that occurs to me though.   The current new gTLD
>registry agreements in Specification
>5
>(http://newgtlds.icann.org/sites/default/files/agreements/agreement-approved-09jan14-en.htm)
>have a provision that restrict the ability of a registrant to
>register a country or territory name, or names relating to the
>International Olympic Committee; International Red Cross and Red
>Crescent Movement.
>
>These are examples of content in domain names that have some
>restrictions.   There are no technical or security reasons for such
>restrictions.   The restrictions have been put in place on the basis
>of "public policy" advice from the GAC.

So let's take the two examples of restrictions that ICANN already
imposes on registrants:  (1) the obligation to provide accurate WHOIS
information, and (2) restrictions on the registrants' ability to use
certain strings in their domain names.  ICANN can take down a domain
that fails to comply with these requirements.

Let's assume we agree that these are appropriate exercises of ICANN's
power - that ICANN can legitimately impose restrictions/obligations
"like these" on registrants.
At the same time, I assume everyone also agrees that ICANN should NOT
be permitted to impose restrictions/obligations/regulations on
registrants that are not "like these" - that it can't use its power
over the Amazon.com domain name to tell Amazon what kind of products
and services it can or cannot offer, or how it has to deal with fraud
complaints, or what privacy protections it needs to include in its
operations; for things "like that." ICANN should NOT have the power
to take down the domain (directly or indirectly, i.e. by requiring
registrars to do the takedown for them).

So the problem is how to reconcile these two positions - to
articulate why the first set is OK but the second isn't.

In may mind - and if this is too simple-minded, I apologize - the
answer is:  the former concerns the registrants' activities that
directly affect the content of the DNS databases themselves, while
the latter do not.

The UDRP is a good example of how this line works, for me.  ICANN
does have the power to set up a process to resolve disputes over
domain names, because the outcomes of those disputes necessarily and
inherently affect the content of the DNS databases directly.  ICANN
does not have the power to set up a process to resolve disputes over
consumer fraud complaints, because the outcomes of those disputes do
not affect the content of the DNS databases.

David

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic  publications
etc.  http://www.davidpost.com