[CCWG-ACCT] Update on Board discussions on the CCWG Update

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 23:03:46 UTC 2015

A couple of comments to Jordan's comments....

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 5:40 PM, Jordan Carter <jordan at internetnz.net.nz>
wrote:

> hi Bruce, all, a few further thoughts:
>
> On 24 November 2015 at 14:21, Bruce Tonkin <
> Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> As noted last week,  the Board has been considering the CCWG Update on
>> Progress Made In and After ICANN54 in Dublin published on 15 Nov 2015.
>>
>> The Board is preparing for the Public Comment period on the Third Draft
>> Proposal, and intends to submit its comments on the Third Draft Proposal by
>> mid-December.
>>
>> The Board thought it may be useful to share some initial comments based
>> on the information in the CCWG Update.
>>
>> For ease of reference, the page number in the Update Document has been
>> included for each item below.
>>
>> .       Human Rights (pages 25-26)
>>
>> The Board is committed to upholding human rights as appropriate within
>> its limited Mission and scope of responsibilities.  We appreciate the
>> community's interest in reflecting human rights in the ICANN Bylaws, but we
>> remain concerned that the placement of such language into the Bylaws
>> requires full consideration of the impact of that language across all of
>> ICANN's activities.  We note that a potential approach is for a group to
>> develop a Framework of Interpretation as part of Work Steam 2.  It is
>> important that this topic has comprehensive community discussion, including
>> impact on policy development and identification of how those developing
>> policy recommendations should consider human rights within their work, as
>> well as any implications such as on ccTLD re-delegations.   Any final
>> formulation of human rights must not extend ICANN's limited mission and
>> scope of responsibilities.
>>

> I think the work of the HRWP has been designed to achieve what you
> suggest, but this isn't an area of expertise for me.

​GS: I was involved in WP-4 (the Human Rights group) and I also believe
this is consistent with our work.  We'll need to look at what's actually in
the Third Draft Proposal though, since we can't count on things moving
along the pipeline and always retaining their exact phrasings.​

> [...]
>> letter.
>>

> As long as this example is an example, as stated elsewhere, that's fine.
>

>> Additionally, the Board strongly believes the threshold for the removal
>> of the entire board should not go below a total of four SOs and ACs in
>> support of removal.
>>

> Noted, and noting this faces a tweak as agreed at the last call.
>

>> .       Board Consideration of GAC advice (page 34)
>>
>> The Board will continue to monitor the discussions.  We note that any
>> solution should include a provision that, in the event of the rejection of
>> GAC advice, the Board is only required to enter into a formal consultation
>> process where the GAC advice is consensus advice based on the current
>> definition within the GAC's Operating Procedures (which relies on the UN
>> definition of consensus).   The Board values receipt of consensus advice as
>> reflected in the current GAC Operating Procedures.   Since the first ATRT,
>> there has been a lot of effort made to clarify what "GAC Advice" means and
>> does not mean within GAC Communiqués.   Care should be taken not to
>> introduce language into the Bylaws that reduces that clarity and returns
>> the Board to a position of having to negotiate among various positions in
>> its consultation processes.
>>

> Based on the discussion last night, it would have been helpful for this
> Board perspective to be incorporated in the ST18 working group meetings of
> which there were four leading up to the most recent CCWG call. This would
> be a step away from the compromise language incorporated in the Second
> Draft Proposal, though less of a step away from the compromise language
> discussed yesterday....
>

>> .       Sole Designator Model (page 11)
>>
>> The Board supports the Sole Designator model with the understanding that
>> limited powers of appointment, removal and enforcement are maintained as
>> the guiding principles for this model.
>>

> This may cause problems. As noted above, the transparency and inspection
> rights aren't negotiable. The bylaws change powers are also clearly a part
> of this model in the sense of legal enforceability of the Empowered
> Community's decision rights. It's the Budget power which isn't.
>
> Can you confirm by the above observation the Board isn't seeking changes
> to the community powers per se?
>
> It would be helpful if you could advise in more depth what it is that
> drives the Board to make this comment - that is, what are you worried about
> as a group "appearing" here?
>

>> .       AoC Reviews and Implementation Factors (page 31)
>>
>> The Board appreciates the work to incorporate the AOC reviews into the
>> Bylaws and reiterates as a principle that operational/administrative
>> details not be inserted into the Bylaws, in favor of defined standards for
>> such reviews that can be changed (with community participation) through
>> processes that do not require Bylaws changes.
>>

> If this is a "no" to the carefully considered changes to the AOC specified

​
GS: I'm thinking that this is a tangential reaction to the extremely robust
(which is to say, overinclusive) first draft Bylaws that we saw from Sidley
in the CWG​.