[CCWG-ACCT] FW: Regarding GAC participation

Rosemary E. Fei rfei at adlercolvin.com
Thu Oct 1 00:24:55 UTC 2015

Dear CCWG:

We responded to the question in red in the email below, which someone also asked in the August 25 webinar.  We added the response when we were asked to review and edit the webinar Q&A.  I'm not sure when this got posted, but I think it was on the "last modified" date of September 21.

https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=54695403

See the CCWG Legal Counsel's Response to Question 48, reproduced here:

CCWG Legal Counsel's Response:  If the sole member is formed as a California unincorporated association (since it would need to be a legal person in order to be a statutory member of ICANN), participants in the Sole Member unincorporated association would not liable for the debts, obligations, or liabilities of the association solely by reason of being participants, as stated in California Corporations Code Section 18605.

Corporations Code Section 18630 simply points out the legal principle of common-law alter-ego liability, applicable not only to unincorporated associations but also to corporations and other limited-liability entities such as limited liability companies.  For example, under this principle a corporate shareholder could be held liable for the debts of a corporation that is operated so closely by or in connection with the shareholder that it has ceased to have a separate existence for practical purposes (i.e., the corporation has been operated as the shareholder's mere "alter ego").  Typically, however, a finding of alter-ego liability requires a number of egregious facts, including a commingling of funds between the shareholder and the corporation and a failure to observe corporate formalities.  Courts may also require a demonstration of outright fraud.  If the CMSM is administered according to the governance provisions to be included in the ICANN Bylaws, we do not believe there would be a basis for a court to assert alter-ego liability against its participants.

While this does not respond to all of the questions posed in the email below, I hope that at least this one answer is helpful.

Rosemary

Rosemary E. Fei
Adler & Colvin
235 Montgomery Street, Suite 1220
San Francisco, CA 94104
415/421-7555 (phone)
415/421-0712 (fax)
rfei at adlercolvin.com
www.adlercolvin.com

Adler & Colvin is a San Francisco Green Business certified by the City and County of San Francisco. Please consider the environment before you print this email.