[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript links for WP5 Meeting #5 on 2 October

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Fri Oct 2 16:36:34 UTC 2015

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the WP4 Meeting #6 held on 2 October will be available
here:   https://community.icann.org/x/qpJYAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Brenda

Action Items

ACTION ITEM - Add wording - internationally recognized human rights laws and standards -  and wait
for our public comment assessment to establish next steps.

Notes

These high-level notes are designed to help you navigate through content of the call and do not
substitute in any way the transcript.

There appears to be consensus position that ICANN should respect human rights. Most of the comments
reflect concern on whether we should be able addressing this as a WS1 issue. Concerns also raised
regarding mission: it may broaden ICANN's mission. Public comments take us through path of not being
able to establish language in Bylaws but rather commit us to work as part of WS2.

Feedback:

- Is there consensus that we should not have language for WS1? That is not what I am reading.

--> We have consensus on addressing human rights. My reading is that while most of comments support
having language included into bylaws as part of WS1, contributors raise concern that it may lead to
consequences we should first analyze. It is unclear whether it should be a Bylaw change or if it is
a commitment to further work at later stage.

- We have consensus on commitment. Next steps would be for us to provide framework.

We should provide a rationale and continue our work to frame discussion. We should first go through
comments and if this group agrees to add language in Bylaws - we will move forward.

- We need to take into account comments and understand where points of divergence. We need to come
up with proposed language.

- Let's aim for drafting Bylaw language instead of high level commitment after careful analysis of
comments. Agreement on wording needed.

--> Many comments did not agree on cherry picking rights but also comments that we should refer to
UN declaration of rights.

- We need to be focusing on public comment.

- We should be mindful of implementation.

MOVING FORWARD

- Review public comments and draft assessment paper

Volunteers: Ellen Blackler - Leon Sanchez - Marilia Maciel - Matthew Shears - David McAuley - Greg
Shatan - Niels Ten Oever - Tatiana Tropina

*        Assessment should be completed by Oct 7

*        Discuss on call Oct 8

*        Follow discussions online Oct 9-11

*        Deliver Oct 12

Use J. Zuck template for analysis.

Volunteers should go through all 26 comments.

Additional call to be scheduled for Oct 6

- Suggestion to classify comments ourselves

- Suggestion to color code

Discussion of option 2 "Within its mission and in its operations, ICANN will be committed to respect
internationally recognized fundamental human rights.

- There is difference between respect and protect.

- Will must be replaced with shall.

--> Lawyers will determine appropriate language.

- History around shall is being replaced. Recognize international fundamental rights.

- Fundamental is too narrow. General would cover all.

- Fundamental rights is a separate concept to human rights. Removing reference to fundamental is not
something we discussed. Use internationally recognized human rights.

- Problematic when need to define fundamental.

- Confirm most international and neutral wording with lawyers

- The text of the Council of Europe Declaration on ICANN which I referred to on Saturday says
internationally recognized human rights laws and standards."

--> This could be a compromise.

- It does not make reference to standards.