[CCWG-ACCT] Message from ICANN Board re Designator Model

avri doria avri at ella.com
Tue Oct 6 23:49:37 UTC 2015

Add to that it is not a nominating committe because no one gets to approve the choices. It is a selection committee. It is a completely unaccountable selection committee where only the legal staff reviews the choices.

avri

Sent from a T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

bad, please consider:

* The criteria for selection are secret

* The meetings are secret

* The NomCom views public disclosure of any candidates names, even by the
candidates themselves, as a bad thing

* A former chair-elect resigned because he was "sickened" by how it worked
(lobbying, abuse of travel support, insider culture, refusal to listen to
formal advice)

* It was set up to replace direct elections and is an active impediment to
discussions about how real elections might actually work

* It has been repeatedly criticized for poor working methods and failure to
communicate with candidates

* It is entirely self-contained. NomCom members often fail to turn up to
meetings but it is not reported back; NomCom members are not required to
explain their decisions.

* It gets the same number of people applying each year - 80-90 - and each
year says that is a great number with no explanation or analysis

* It measures its own success. And agrees each year that it has done a
terrific job

The fact that the NomCom exists at all is a sign that ICANN has not matured
to the point where it can do what thousands of other organizations achieve
every year: open elections with selections made by the whole community
rather than a secretive subset of community members who lobby extremely
hard to be selected.

Kieren