[CCWG-ACCT] A path to Dublin and beyond

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 16:43:07 UTC 2015

I'll answer the question "why do we re-elect board​ members when there is
apparently skepticism and mistrust of the Board's behavior and conduct by
some colleagues?"  It's useful to look at this very question in the context
of the power to remove a board member.

I think it's safe to assume that a Board member is re-elected (or
re-appointed)​ because the body that appoints that director believes that
the director is doing a good job.  (After all, "we" don't collectively
select board members, other than (arguably) through the NomCom process.)
 It's entirely possible other parts of the community could disagree (and
even possible that *all* the other parts of the community could disagree).

Now assume that the rest of the community (other than the appointing body)
strongly wants to remove that director.

If we give the community the power to remove individual board members, any
part of the community can initiate the director removal process, and two
possible scenarios emerge. If unanimity is required, the appointing group
will be able to block the removal, and the board member stays on.  If we do
not require unanimity, then it is highly likely that the community will be
able to remove that director over the objections of the appointing body
(leaving that body to find another appointee more acceptable to the other
SO/ACs).

On the other hand, if we only give the appointing body the power to remove
individual board members, then the answer is quite easy: the board member
stays on.

Just for fun, let's try the opposite hypothetical: the appointing body
really wants to remove the director, but the rest of the community thinks
the director is doing a decent job (or even a great job).  If we give the
community the power to remove the board member, the board member will stay
on (until the end of their term, at which point the appointing body finally
gets to take action and the director leaves the board).  On the other hand,
if the appointing body can remove that director, then that director is
highly likely to be removed now, rather than at the end of their term.

Thoughts?

Greg