[CCWG-ACCT] Transparency improvements in work stream 1 in our 2nd draft proposal

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Fri Oct 16 15:06:40 UTC 2015

Relevant to the current discussion about “deferring” transparency

Our 2nd draft report includes the term transparency on 50 different pages.  But what really matters is how we add greater transparency into WS1 proposals.  See these elements:

We propose a new commitment in ICANN Bylaws:
COMMITMENT 1. In performing its Mission, ICANN must operate in a manner consistent with its Bylaws for the benefit of the Internet community as a whole, carrying out its activities in conformity with relevant principles of international law and international conventions, and applicable local law and through open and transparent processes that enable competition and open entry in Internet-related markets.

We propose a new element (blue text) for Core Value 2 in ICANN Bylaws:
CORE VALUE 2. Seeking and supporting broad, informed participation reflecting the functional, geographic, and cultural diversity of the Internet at all levels of policy development and decision-making to ensure that the bottom-up, multistakeholder policy development process is used to ascertain the global public interest and that those processes are accountable and transparent;

We require transparency as part of the new Community Forum (para 355 on p.53)

We note that CWG-Stewardship requirement for IANA budget transparency in para 378:   the CWG-Stewardship Final Proposal has expressed a requirement that the budget be transparent with respect to the IANA Function’s operating costs with clear itemization of such costs to the project level and below as needed.

Our new requirement for an annual report on Transparency (para 511-512 on p.74):  ICANN will produce an annual report on the state of improvements to Accountability and Transparency.

We give all AoC review teams unprecedented access to ICANN internal documents.  See Confidential Disclosure policy, para 521 – 527 on p.75.

We require each AoC review team to be transparent about the degree of consensus achieved in their report.   (para 529 on p.75)

And for WS2, there’s this:
Transparency: The community has expressed concerns regarding the ICANN document/information access policy and implementation. Free access to relevant information is an essential element of a robust independent review process. We recommend reviewing and enhancing the Documentary Information Disclosure Policy (DIDP) as part of the accountability enhancements in Work Stream 2. (p.43)

The subject of SO and AC accountability should be included in the purview of the Accountability and Transparency Review process as part of Work Stream 2 working plan. (p.71)

Instituting a culture of transparency within the ICANN organization:  (p.121)
o Limiting ICANN's ability to deny transparency and disclosure requests.
o Enhancing the Ombudsman’s role and function.
o Enhancing ICANN’s whistleblower policy.
o Increasing transparency about ICANN interactions with governments.