[CCWG-ACCT] ICANN's reliance on ICP-1

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Tue Sep 22 07:58:15 UTC 2015

Bruce

What I'm more interested in is why the ICANN Board and Staff wishes to
persist, in this longstanding and direct opposition to the ccTLD
community with this ICP-1 nonsense. Since 1999 already.

ICP-1 is not, and never has been anything to do with ccTLDs. It was
written on the back of an envelope by an ICANN staffer 15 years ago
without any reference to anyone. It had ZERO input or approval from the
community. It has neither legality nor legitimacy.

It was unanimously rejected by the ccTLD constituency immediately, and
at the time.

A definitive analysis of the situation was written by one Kim Davies,
then of CENTR, who I think you know in a different role today.

See also the below email from a former Chairman of the Board of ICANN
(as he later became) to the DNSO (now ccNSO+gNSO).

Over a six year period, the ccNSO's Delegation and Redelegation Working
Group, succeeded by the Framework of Interpretation Working Group
examined, in considerable depth, the legal and policy background to
ccTLD delegations, including ICANN's various unilateral attempts to
impose changes to ccTLD procedures.

That WG (of which I have the honour to have been a member) found that
ICP-1 has no status whatsoever in the management of ccTLDs relationship
to the root zone.

The Framework of Interpretation (a guid to the construction of
applicable ccTLD policy) was eventually formally adopted by the ICANN
Board earlier this year.

Did you not take part in that vote?

The ICANN Board also at that time resolved to follow the ccNSO's
recommendation, and archive ICP-1.

Yet, only in the last couple of weeks, ICANN, the Corporation chooses to
continue to put ICP-1 before the Appeal Court as having some status.

And you (ICANN) continue to display ICP_1 on your website, as the
definitive statement of ICANN's relationships with ccTLDs.

Some might be tempted, after 15 years of this behaviour,  to think it
just /might/ be deliberate.

And you are STILL surprised that I sometimes have the perception that
ICANN (as a collective) cannot be trusted and will not keep its word?

And THAT is the major question of accountability right there.

Nigel
--
Nigel Roberts, LLB, FBCS
Director, Island Networks Group

The
> recent FAQ issued by the staff, one assumes without Board involvement,
> contains some further nonsense.
> This, despite the time it takes, is being dealt to by experts.
>
> 2. The board resolution only adopts the numbering system of ICP-1, not its
> contents.
>
> 3. The question for the Board to satisfy itself is: do the contents of
ICP-1