[CCWG-ACCT] Implementation flaw in Mission section

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Mon Apr 11 18:39:25 UTC 2016

> Becky Burr wrote:
>> Malcolm is correct that proposed text is different from the Report. In the course of
>> drafting, the CCWG attorneys pointed out that the construct (no regulation of services
>> etc.) could create unintended consequences related to the application of antitrust
>> law. This was viewed as particularly problematic under the current circumstances,
>> where the supervision of the US government (which at least arguably provides some
>> protection for ICANN) is being withdrawn.

OK, I have no problem with finding an substitute for the word "regulate".

>> We attempted to eliminate this problem and discussed several approaches to doing
>> so. This approach seemed to get at the concern that was animating the CCWG in its
>> discussions on this point, use of the Registry Agreement and Registrar Accreditation
>> Agreement to regulate registrant conduct.

Reason noted.

>> Malcolm is correct, of course, that ICANN might attempt to use some other vehicle to
>> regulate content.

OK, so we seem to be in agreement.

>> But it is critical to keep in mind that the prohibition on regulation is, by
>> nature, a “belt and suspenders” approach. Keep in mind that ICANN is prohibited from
>> doing exceeding its Mission. See Section 1.1.(b): “ICANN shall not act outside its
>> Mission.” So no matter what other mechanism ICANN might find to attempt to regulate
>> content, the Bylaws simply prohibit that.

Technically true, but the belt and bracers was wanted, and for good
reasons.

We did discuss at length whether this belt-and-bracer was superfluous;
this is hardly a provision that came about inadvertently.
We came to a clear and considered conclusion that it was necessary, and
that was the decision approved by Chartering Organisations. That
decision shouldn't now be undermined by incomplete implementation.

So I will take your message as acceptance of the discrepancy and need to
fix it, and read the above paragraph as a "by-the-way", rather than as
an attempt to argue that the draft Bylaw can remain as it is.

>> We are open to other constructs, so long as they don’t raise the same antitrust concerns
>> identified by Holly and Rosemary in our discussions. At a minimum, that requires us to
>> avoid the term “regulation” and to be as concrete as possible.

I did offer one alternative construct (see my previous message, copied
below); Greg and Bradley have criticised it. Bradley offered another,
and I gave my own criticism of that.

Perhaps it is best for us in CCWG to leave the implementation team to
consider the feedback given and come back with a proposal, working to
the objective of generalising this clause to match the generality of the
Report.

Malcolm.

--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
       Monument Place, 24 Monument Street, London EC3R 8AJ

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929