[CCWG-ACCT] RES: Jurisdiction Proposed Questions and Poll Results

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 06:33:16 UTC 2016

All,

There are too many issues and specific points raised in this thread to deal
with in a single email.  But the thread as a whole raises some overarching
concerns.  Please consider the following thoughts.

We need to pay attention to how we engage with each other, and we need to
emphasize engagement on ideas and substance.

Based on my participation in a number of working groups over the years,
I've observed the following:  In order to develop broad support for
positions or decisions in any working group or subgroup (including this
one), it is necessary for participants to strive to do three things:

-- *Listen*: Take the time to understand the views of others in the group;
don't dismiss views without considering their substance
-- *Persuade*:  Try to persuade others (through fact and logic) why your
view makes sense and should be adopted; don't attempt to impose your view
(e.g., by saying something "must" be done)
-- *Compromise*: For a position to get broad support, it will need to
reconcile opposing viewpoints.  Participants will often need to move away
from initial positions and "absolutes" to find common ground; the ultimate
result may not be exactly what any participant or group of participants
want.

Without listening, persuasion has no chance to work.  Without trying to
persuade, others will not move to embrace your views.  Without compromise,
we will not arrive at positions that have broad support.

The focus needs to be on facts, on ideas, on reasoning together.  Focusing
on identities and not on ideas will not lead to success.  Playing up
divisions based on identities does not lead to common ground.

In my view, we need to work together as a group and concentrate on
substance in order to be productive.

Thank you for considering these thoughts.

Greg