[CCWG-ACCT] RES: Jurisdiction Proposed Questions and Poll Results

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Dec 29 05:37:36 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 28 December 2016 08:44 AM, Phil Corwin wrote:
> "Let me emphasize, by the way, that the NETmundial Statement calls for
> ICANN´s internationalization and not for it to become an
> intergovernmental organization. Those are two different notions that
> should not be confounded."
>
> Can you please cite any example of an "internationalized" organization
> that is not an IGO and, if such example(s) exists, cite the
> jurisdiction in which it is organized and whose laws it is subject to.
> Thank you.

Being international organisation is about law of incorporation and/or
applicable jurisdiction, inter-governmental organisation is about its
governance form, as being consisting of governments. Most international
organisations are intergov but that is not at all necessary.

Red Cross is an international organisational, which though not created
under Swiss law and not international law is supported and mandated by
international law. It has been given special immunities and privileges
by the Swiss gov.

International Fertilizer Development Centre calls itself international
organisation, and US law calls it as international organisation, and
even though continuing to be incorporated as an US non profit, has
immunities under US law.

Like these, there are many others.

In any case, there is no bar on countries getting together to make
international law creating or re-mandating an organisation whose
governance structure is whatever that international law says it to be.
Such a treaty can mandate an international ICANN, with exactly the same
governance structure as it currently has, including new accountability
mechanisms. In this case while ICANN would indeed be international (law
of incorporation, and applicable jurisdiction) it wont be
inter-governmental (relating to governance structure).

Alternatively, US government can make ICANN an international
organisation giving its jurisdictional immunities, exactly as it has
done to International Fertilizer Development Centre
<http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=7176>.

This is the list of organisations designated as international
organisations
<https://iocareers.state.gov/Main/Content/Page/approved-international-organizations>
by the US government. If you look beyond category 2 in this list, many
of these are not inter-gov in their management/ governance structure and
so not inter-governmental.

Hope this satisfies you that possibilities of internationalising ICANN
do exist.

parminder