[CCWG-ACCT] RES: Jurisdiction Proposed Questions and Poll Results

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.uk
Thu Dec 29 21:21:57 UTC 2016

Hi Parminder,

I find your reference to "special immunities" worrying.  Given that the accountability model relies on legal action for enforcement, we do need to be sure that jurisdiction does not inhibit this action.

Over the years there has been a number of cases where immunity has become a barrier to enforcing accountability.  I'm sure those who drafted the rules did not intend them to protect the organisation from accountability, but I seem to remember issues in athletics, football (soccer), the Olympics, satellite organisations and the Red Cross (although I don't have any analysis of what went wrong in the different cases).

I have read a number of the mails on this issue, but had not been following the prior discussion.  Is there anything that I can read that does an analysis of specific issues related to the jurisdiction and how these might be addressed in different jurisdictions?

Martin

Martin Boyle
Consultant

Sent from my iPhone