[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript link for CCWG Accountability WS2 Meeting #2 - 12 July 2016

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Wed Jul 13 17:43:12 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 Meeting #2 - 12 July 2016 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/FyOOAw

A copy of the notes and action items may be found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer
MSSI Projects & Operations Assistant
ICANN - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
Action Items
*        ACTION ITEM - Co-Chairs to submit comment to ICANN public comment on AOI as per above discussion
*        ACTION ITEM - staff to recirculate answers to CCWG questions to the CCWG.
*        ACTION ITEM - co-Chairs and PCST is draft an approach and circulate to the list and ICANN legal and external counsel and organize a call if necessary.
*        ACTION ITEM - Staff to confirm the dates for ICANN 57 CCWG WS2 meeting ASAP
*        ACTION ITEM - Develop process to allocate the travel slots.
Notes

Mathieu Weill only co-chair in attendance

AOI
*        Review of comments from lawyers on draft comments. FUTURE vs FURTHER - drafting issue and mention is as such. Holly Gregory - this is a typo and should be pointed as such. MW - agree.
*        Article 2 MAY vs SHALL on GPI. Holly Gregory - believe MAY is the appropriate word legally. In no way used to suggest anyone else could decide the GPI. Rosemary Fei - agree.
*        Brett Schaefer: I thought Greg's suggested text is much clearer: Such global public interest may be determined from time to time.  Any determination of such global public interest shall be made by the multistakeholder community through an inclusive bottom-up multistakeholder community process.
*        Mathieu Weill - do we really need to make a change - wordsmithing should be left to lawyers?
*        Brett Schaeffer - although the lawyers agree this text is not only for lawyers but needs to be clear for all readers. Support Greg Shatan's proposed text. Given the debate around this it is not clear - therefore Greg's text would clarify. supported by GS and RG.
*        Kavouss Arasteh - both texts are correct but GS text is clearer.
*        Sivasubramanian - Question for legal experts - when defining GPI - what is the extent of specificity for this definition that is required?
*        Rosemary Fei - can support the GS proposal.
*        Mathieu Weill - given both are acceptable but since our community seems more comfortable with the GS version and as such we should recommend that this text be used. This should close the comments from the CCWG.
*        ACTION ITEM - Co-Chairs to submit comment to ICANN public comment on AOI as per above discussion
*        Brett Schaeffer - can we see the explanation document for the changes.
*        Mathieu Weill - ACTION ITEM - staff to recirculate answers to CCWG questions to the CCWG.

WS2 - presentation of slides
*        Rapporteurs - recently added Jordan Carter to help Avri on Staff Accountability as well  as Chris Wilson for transparency. Co-chair's recommendation to accept all of these.
*        Kavouss Arasteh - important that these colleagues must maintain impartiality and neutrality.
*        Mathieu Weill - indeed. important part of rapporteur's function which have to facilitate the exchanges with the community and help report on these. WS2 - Next steps - closing the Google doc now and this will be the basis for the pages and the email lists.

Legal Cost Control Mechanisms - presentation of slides.
*        Robin Gross - we should re-instate the original CCWG legal committee.
*        Kavouss Arasteh - if something works well keep it - so did it? Re ICANN legal - should be able to attend all meetings but not at decision.
*        Mathieu Weill - current arrangement is only the co-chairs and this may of been appropriate for WS1. For WS2 we need a more open process. Seems there is traction for the original legal committee (no objections).
*        Budget Ownership - Mathieu Weill suggests legal Committee.
*        Tijani BenJemaa - do not agree with the legal committee - mgmt of budget should be done by Co-Chairs. Kavouss Arasteh - Agree with Tijani this would overload the Legal Comm.
*        Mathieu Weill seems to be a clear direction.
*        Allocation of Requests (slide) -
*        Kavouss Arasteh - could be a combination of both.
*        Sebastien Bachollet - we need to take advantage of the ICANN legal team since we are in a different situation vs WS1 at this point and support option 1 - maybe also ask them for best external resources.
*        Mathieu Weill a blended option would seem to be the best way forward.
*        Tijani Ben Jemaa - problem with 2 will be the speed of response - best to use option 1.
*        Mathieu Weill - understood and could be part of a blended solution.
*        Holly Gregory - whose budget is this?
*        Mathieu Weill need clarity from ICANN legal on this point.
*        Kavouss Arasteh - still think a blended solution would be best.
*        Mathieu Weill - this is the intention.
*        Tijani Ben Jemaa - Holly has a very important point.
*        Mathieu Weill - useful discussion to help draft a common solution over the coming days and then we will circulate to the group. If necessary, we can have a special second reading on this.
*        Action Item co-Chairs and PCST is draft an approach and circulate to the list and ICANN legal and external counsel and organize a call if necessary.
*        Holly Gregory - committed to work most efficiently but concerned about option 1 given we will not participate in all calls etc. so it may take longer to get up to speed.
*        Sam Eisner - from an ICANN legal POV we are looking forward to get the best legal advice. ICANN legal has a lot of experience as to how to frame questions and manage external experts - we stand ready to help the CCWG in WS2.
*        Mathieu Weill - Bylaws drafting demonstrated this.
*        Kavouss Arasteh - common advice of both externals was useful in the previous arrangements.
*        Pedro da Silva - similar to KA it is probable that we will reach out to expertise that is beyond to what we have used so far - so the legal committee needs to be independent to be able to do this.
*        Mathieu Weill - noted.
*        Tijani Ben Jemaa - main point is the budget restrictions is critical - as such we should be most efficient.
*        Mathieu Weill - closing the discussion on this point - a blended option 3 would address most of the points raised at this meeting and we should be able to find a reasonable balance - will be shared on the list and there will be a call if necessary.

AOB
*        Kavouss Arasteh - meeting before each ICANN meeting?
*        Mathieu Weill - we have this agreement - just need to confirm the dates.
*        ACTION ITEM - Staff to confirm the dates for ICANN 57 CCWG WS2 meeting ASAP
*        ACTION ITEM - Develop process to allocate the travel slots.
*        Kavouss Arasteh - The day of the meeting depends on the type of the ICANN meeting depending on A, B, C - need to consider this.
*        Tijani Ben Jemaa - Cannot have a CCWG meeting inside the 7 meetings for a C meeting.
*        Holly Gregory - description of Sidley expertise.

Closing Remarks
*        Mathieu Weill - We need to gather all the rapporteurs to get things going. We will reach out to the rapporteurs to get a meeting date.

Meeting Adjourned - Mathieu Weill

Documents

*        CCWG 12 July Plenary.pdf<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/59646743/CCWG%2012%20July%20Plenary.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1468351361000&api=v2>