[CCWG-ACCT] The Economist | A virtual turf war: The scramble for .africa

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jun 21 14:22:31 UTC 2016

On Sunday 19 June 2016 09:17 PM, Phil Corwin wrote:
> snip
>

> My own views on this subject are quite clear – see
> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160523_the_irritating_irresolution_of_icann_jurisdiction/
> :

Phil, I now have some time to respond to your below points as well.

> /For the sake of legal clarity and organizational stability, it is
> incumbent upon WS2 participants to resolve this matter as soon as
> feasible — and to come down decisively in favor of a permanent link
> between ICANN and U.S. jurisdiction. If this were a matter of first
> impression then impartial consideration of an alternative national
> jurisdiction might be in order. But it is a not a matter of first
> impression, and multiple factors weigh in favor of enshrining ICANN's
> permanent status as a California non-profit corporation in a
> Fundamental Bylaw:/
>
>   * /ICANN has embodied California non-profit status since its
>     founding in 1998/
>   * /With the EC and PTI required to be California non-profits by
>     revised Fundamental Bylaws, an inconsistent status for ICANN
>     itself could raise confounding legal and policy issues for both
>     accountability and control/

/When we are talking about changing the very incorporation of ICANN,
changing its fundamental bylaws is a rather small matter in comparison.
//A ICANN under a new jurisdiction is legally a new body, although it
could carry along all the baggage - good and bad - that it "wants" to
carry from the earlier avataar, to maintain the obviously needed
continuity. But then changing fundamental bylaws in such a context is
not such a big problem.

/

>   * //
>   * /The accountability plan has been designed to be maximally
>     effective in the context of California law/

/Well, in that case ( also following from your above point), are you
saying that the claim by those conducting the transition process that
the jurisdiction question is still open is basically a bluff?  Anyway,
we have the essential design of the accountability plan and it can be
made to work in any new jurisdiction as easily, especially an
international one which will be based on newly created and tailor-made
international law which can incorporate this plan.

/

>   * //
>   * /The U.S. legal system is well regarded for its dedication to
>     objective determinations under the rule of law/

/Actually, I like the Indian legal system :). (It for instance does not
think corporates have human rights on par with natural persons :). I am
referring to the Citizens United case.). the 'law' under which the US
legal system makes objective determinations is the US law, which is
different from, say, the Indian law. The outcome of objective
determinations will differ according to which law is employed. That is
the point.  I would much like my claims with regard to the global DNS to
be adjudicated under a law in which I have some kind of role in making,
and consider legitimate to apply to me - so I think would be for all non
US people. That would either be one's own country law or international law.

/

>   * //
>   * /Perhaps most importantly, the First Amendment of the U.S.
>     Constitution guarantees that the U.S. government cannot take
>     actions that would coerce ICANN into using its root zone control
>     to abridge free speech./

You are disregarding the number of websites seized under various
pretexts by US gov, by ordering the concerned registries. (And the
drastic though indirect steps taken to close down wikileaks.) If now it
is a gTLD - with thousands of them granted - that falls foul of the same
US authorities for a similar cause, no registry can help, and so the
same order will go to ICANN to remove the offending gTLD. (Can you
refute this line of argument? ) It is simply the US law, that MUST be
enforced, multistakeholderist niceties aside. Therefore, excuse my
words, but such statements as you make about the superiority of US law
are mere propaganda that no one outside the US takes seriously. Though
you are allowed your patriotism :).

parminder