[CCWG-ACCT] premature jurisdiction debates

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 24 16:15:26 UTC 2016

On Thursday 23 June 2016 02:50 AM, farzaneh badii wrote:
> There is a difference between the possibility of interference and
> interference.

There is another interesting side to this.... Why transition from US's
oversight over ICANN is considered such a good thing, now being
celebrated so much to make it look as if it was always considered
necessary. I have been into this discussion for long, and whenever some
of us pointed to the role of NTIA, we used to hear the same argument,
show us one instance when NTIA interfered with ICANN's decision. Since
they never interfered, their oversight role is no problem. Nothing had
changed now, there hasnt suddenly been some instance of NTIA
interference, right! It is still only a possibility, but now, since US
is already doing it, we seem to think that this is the best thing to
happen to the ICANN world.

Why when working just on the 'possibility' of NTIA's wrongful
interference, and ensuring against it, we are so celebrating of the IANA
transition, we do not want to pursue the 'possibility' of jurisdictional
incursion of the US state, of which we want a prior proof - as was till
now also asked for with regard to  NTIA oversight role.

We make our institutional arrangements not only in response to actually
occurred issues but also taking into account logically strong
possibilities.  I have heard no response either to the possibility

(1) of what happens if the US court reverses ICANN decision in .africa
and other gtld related cases, like .xxx (how can one say that this is
simply not possible?)

(2) of US authorities having a intellectual property related issue (as
per US law)  with a closed gTLD owning foreign company, why would they
not direct their domain removal order now to ICANN - the same order, of
which multiple known cases exist, which used to go to US based
registries earlier (rojadirecta is  a famous case, what if rojadirecta
was to take a gTLD and still be doing sports event steaming business,
and then a Us agency find the same problem with it that they earlier did?)

parminder