[CCWG-ACCT] Draft Bylaw comments

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon May 9 04:44:13 UTC 2016

Following a not quite comprehensive review of the
Draft Bylaws, focusing on the areas where I had
the most involvement and/or concern, I have drafted a number of comments.

If there are any sections where other who have
reviewed the Bylaws can tell me I have mis-read anything, please let me know.

Alan

========================

Section 4.3(k)(ii)
"In the event that a Standing Panel is not in
place when an IRP Panel must be convened for a
given proceeding or is in place but does not have
capacity due to other IRP commitments or the
requisite diversity of skill and experience
needed for a particular IRP proceeding, the
Claimant and ICANN shall each select a qualified
panelist from outside the Standing Panel and the
two panelists selected by the parties shall select the third panelist.

I would suggest that first "Shall" should be
"may". It is possible if the issue is capacity,
diversity of skill or experience, there may be
some panelists that qualify, even if there are not three.
==========

Section 4.6(b)(ii)
"The issues that the review team
 may assess are
the following" does not properly implement CCWG
Annex 9, paragraph 84 "Issues that may merit
attention in this review include:".

The original AoC mandated the list that follows.
Paragraph 84 did not require that an ATRT address
them all, but also allowed an ATRT to address
other issues not listed. The Bylaw language is
prescriptive and limits the topics.
==========

Section 4.6(e)(v)
During the CCWG discussions on the interval
between reviews, the issue of ICANN immediately
being in default on the WHOIS/RDS review was
never raised. Moreover, since those discussions
were held, the GNSO new RDS PDPWG has been
convened and is well underway. It is reasonably
clear that the people in the volunteer community
who would likely participate in an RDS review
significantly overlap with those who are heavily
involved in the RDS PDP. To schedule an RDS
Review soon after the Bylaws are enacted would be
serious error and will only serve to slow the
work of the PDP - a PDP that even now may go on for quite some time.

It is clear that there is work that needs to be
done that would fall under the auspices of a full
blown PDP. We need a good picture of how the
various current WHOIS/RDS efforts mesh together.
We need to assess how the recommendations of the
first WHOIS review are being implemented and
their impact, as well as other WHOIS/RDS related
activities unrelated to that last AoC review.

But these efforts, as important as they are, do
not need to be done by a full-blown AoC-like
review. Most of the work can be done by staff. To
the extent that "staff cannot be trusted"
(something that I question, but will address), I
am others in the community will gladly act as a
sounding block and review their work. [For the
record, I was the person on the ATRT2 who did the
full analysis of the WHOIS RT Recommendation
implementation, so I have some idea of what I am talking about.]

The Bylaws for the organizations review all have
explicit time limits in them, but also have the
words "if feasible". That was true even when the
organization review interval was (foolishly)
three years instead of the five years it was
quickly changed to. "If feasible" allowed the
Board to save an immense amount of wasted
community expense and ICANN dollars. We need some
wriggle room in the current case as well.

I strongly suggest that the draft Bylaws be
revised to allow additional flexibility to defer
the RDS review until there is a real RDS to
review, and would even suggest that once
implemented, they soon after be amended to add the missing "if feasible".
==========

Section 6.1(g)(iv)
"how the Decisional Participant determines
whether an issue subject to a petition has been resolved,"

In all of the other Roman Numeral phrases, there
are specific processes to design or rules to
write. This one is out of place. In any given
case, the process to decide whether the issue has
gone away will depend on exactly what that issue
was. There does not seem to be a way to write
that generic process in any way that will prove
useful when the need to "determine" arises. I
suggest that this section be deleted.
==========

Section 6.2(a)(v)
"Articles" should be "Articles of Incorporation"
(Articles alone would refer to any of the 27 Articles within the Bylaws).
==========

Section 7.4(d)
"No person who serves on the EC Administration
while serving in that capacity shall be
considered for nomination or designated to the
Board, nor serve simultaneously on the EC
Administration and as a Director or Liaison to the Board."

This seems both problematic and uncalled for, and
I do not believe is based on anything in the CCWG
proposal. There is a more reasonable restriction
in 7.4 (b) that says someone serving on the Board
cannot occupy other positions. But in this case,
the EC Administration (the AC/SO Chairs or other
delegates) can only act on instructions they are
given. To restrict them from being considered
means that they cannot even submit a confidential
application to the NomCom, a restriction that is
placed on no one in ICANN except those actually sitting on the current NomCom.
==========

Section 7.11(a)(i)(B)
For removal of a Board member by the Board, the
current Bylaw says a 3/4 majority vote of all
Board members, except the member subject to the
removal is required. The revision omits the
exclusion allowing that director to participate
in the vote. What is the compelling rationale for
this change which is not related to any CCWG recommendation?
==========

Section 7.12(b)
This section stipulates what process should ensue
after the entire Board (except the President) is
removed because they are mentally unsound,
convicted of a felony, or being found by a court
to have breached their duty as a Director.
Presumably the last Board member is removed by
action of the President, the last person
standing, who somehow convinced the last Director
to remove themselves (for the 3/4 vote).

This is also the only reference I could find for
AC/SO appointing Interim Directors which is
required in the case of the EC removing the
entire Board. But in that case, the Interim
Directors were supposed to be named BEFORE the
final vote so that the Interim Board would be
ready to immediately take office as required by
Paragraph 97 of Annex 4 ("Having a Board in place
at all times is critical to the operational
continuity of ICANN and is a legal requirement").
==========

Section 12.2(d)(ix)(F)
"Rules of Procedure" is a defined ALAC document.
I am not sure if that is sufficient to justify
upper case here , but regardless, I would assume
the usage should be consistent throughout the
sentence. I note that in Annex A, terms such as
"Policy Development Process Manual", "Initial
Report", "Final Report" and other terms are all capitalized.
==========

Annex D, Section 1.2
The term PDP is used here. That is a defined term
in the Bylaws referring only to the GNSO. My
understanding is that the section related to a
Bylaw change as a result of any formal policy
development process from an SO. The ccNSO uses
the defined term "ccPDP" and the ASO section is
silent on what their policy process is called.

Annex D, Section 1.4(b)(i-ii)
The higher threshold should apply not only to
Fundamental Bylaws, but also to the Articles of Incorporation.