[CCWG-ACCT] SOAC-Accountability question, for reply by 11-Sep-2017

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sat Sep 9 06:16:33 UTC 2017

Firstly, I disagree with this. Moreover, incumbents do not necessarily
win (at least in ccNSO Council elections).

More importantly, however, it seems that you are partly saying here that
we sorta shouldn't be having elections because they don't really achieve
their purpose. (That's probably not what you are saying, at all, right?

I personally have mixed feelings about term limits.

They are a traditional way to bring on 'new blood' which is healthy for
an organisations.

But I have also been involved in other organisations where term limits
are a negative thing.

In some cases there just isn't a queue of people banging at the
Boardroom or Council chamber door volunteering to give up their time for
free (or non-commercial rates). Indeed finding volunteers is a prime task.

What the inclusion of term limits into the constitutional form does in
these particular cases is to remove experience and expertise fromt he
governing body and replace with with people who at best are no better
than the people they replace (but without the necessary experience of
getting things done) and at worst, aren't as good.

Term limits become a tool of organisational capture by permanent staff
when this happens. (See the ironic and sardonic programme "Yes,
Minister", Margaret Thatcher's favourite TV show, which she always
insisted was documentary in nature).

In non-profit and volunteer organisations it's a good principle to vote
the best person in, and then keep re-electing them as long as they are
prepared to carry on. (Perhaps this is what you were referring to,
regarding the incumbent effect?).

So perhaps the answer might be the inclusion of term limits which are
sufficiently long to allow the organisation to benefit from their
choice, yet provide an ultimate exit date for the benefit of the
office-holder as well as the the organisation.

Our two elected Board members serve a maximum of nine years. That's more
than enough for both officse-holder and electorate - after a long time
in office, peoples' thinking can (but not necessarily does) become
ossified, to everyone's detriment.

Nigel Roberts

PS: The recommendation to "consider" is fine by me, incidentally, as it
preserves the subsidiarity rule.