[ALT-Plus] Summary Report of GNSO Council 15 Dec 2022 meeting

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 14:12:25 UTC 2022

All,

I am submitting a written report ahead of the ALAC monthly meeting of 20
Dec. Happy to answer questions, if any.

*Special Summary Report of 15 Dec 2022 Meeting to ALT-PLUS
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Dec2022-SumRep_Dec2022>*

For brevity, I will just highlight a few things here. For some of the
issues, you can glean a wider perspective from GNSO Council Dec 2022
Matters of Interest <https://community.icann.org/x/pQjVD> and/or from GNSO
Council Dec 2022 Meeting Records
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Dec2022-Meet_Dec2022>
.

*1. Consent Agenda*

   - Council approved the GNSO Standing Selection Committee (SSC)
   leadership team for 2022-2023: Arinola Akinyemi (BC) to remain for a second
   term as Chair, and Alan Woods (RySG) to serve as Vice Chair.
   - Council confirmed Manju Chen (NCSG) as Council Committee for
   Overseeing and Implementing Continuous Improvement (CCOICI) Chair and GNSO
   Council representative to the WS2 Community Coordination Group.
   - Council approved Paul McGrady for the position of Liaison from the
   GNSO Council to the GNSO Guidance Process (GGP) for Applicant Support
   (i.e. Applicant Support Working Group).
   - Council approved the Work Plan
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2022/draft/draft-subpro-ggp-initiation-request-clean-26oct22-en.pdf>
for
   the GNSO Guidance Process (GGP) for Applicant Support.

*2. Debrief from Subsequent Procedures Operational Design Assessment
(SubPro ODA)*

   - Councilors were encouraged to read the SubPro ODA, and to review the
   recordings for the ODA GNSO Council Specific Webinar (or transcript), and
   the Community Webinar #1 and Community Webinar #2.
   - Council will rely on the Council Small Team comprising Jeff Neuman
   (GNSO Liaison to SubPro ODP), Paul McGrady (NCA-Non CPH), Justine Chew
   (ALAC Liaison to GNSO), Desiree Miloshevic (NCA-CPH), Anne Aikman-Scalese
   (NCA) and Susan Payne (IPC) to establish if there were questions or
   clarifications needed to be relayed to the ICANN Org SubPro Team; and
   likely comments to be relay to the ICANN Board.

*3. DNS Abuse Small Team*

   - Following the approval of the Small Team's report
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2022/correspondence/dns-abuse-small-team-to-gnso-council-07oct22-en.pdf>
    by Council on 17 Nov 2022, the Small Team's Leadership comprising Mark
   Datysgeld (BC) and Paul McGrady (NCA-Non CPH) worked with GNSO support
   staff to draft letters
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2022/draft/draft-dns-abuse-letters-22nov22-en.pdf>
   the Contracted Parties, pursuant to recommendations #2 (bulk
   registrations), #3 (reporting of DNS Abuse), and #4 (action & enforcement)
   of its report.  (NB. #2 bulk registrations was based on ALAC's input)
   - In particular, there are 2 letters - one regarding bulk registrations
   and the other regarding DNS Abuse Reporting / Action & Enforcement.
   - Upon feedback from Kurt Pritz (RySG) that the term "bulk
   registrations" may require defining, I proposed that the first letter on
   bulk registrations be amended to include a request that the recipients
   include as context, a description of their respective bulk registration
   categorization and procedures.
   - Otherwise, the draft letters appear to be in order. I also asked that
   Council be notified when these letters are sent out so that Council is kept
   aware of this exercise's progress.

*4. Expired Domain Deletion Policy (EDDP) and the Expired Registration
Recovery Policy (ERRP)*

   - Given earlier raised concerns about capacity, and the fact that no
   one/group has raised any serious concerns about (1) the EDDP and (2) the
   ERRP, which are dual policies around the renewal of domain registrations.
   As such, there continues to be reservations on the need for a Policy Status
   Report (PSR) to be undertaken for a review of the EDDP and ERRP.
   - It was suggested that the issue of confusion mentioned in the report
   from Contractual Compliance
   <https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2022-November/026164.html> could
   be something that could be adequately resolved between ICANN Contractual
   Compliance and the RrSG.
   - In the end, it was suggested and decided that a small team comprising
   Greg DiBiase (RrSG), Susan Payne (IPC) and Nacho Amadoz (RySG) will work
   with ICANN org's Caitlin Tubergen to analyse the Contractual Compliance
   report then report back to Council afterwards on next steps (if any).

*5. Review Implementation Prioritization Supplemental Fund for
Implementation of Community Recommendations (SFICR) Request - Council's
role?*

   - Doubts were expressed that Council had a specific role in the SFICR
   Request. Forty-five Board-approved recommendations that have been
   prioritized for USD 5.8mil SFICR funding will be implemented by the groups
   at which each of those recommendations are targeted.

*6. Rights Protection Mechanisms for All New gTLDs Implementation Review
Team (RPMs IRT)*

   - Council did not discuss this at length; it was merely reported that
   this IRT has just commenced its work / meeting calls.

Thanks for reading / your consideration.

Justine Chew
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO
GNSO Liaison Report Workspace
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021>