[ALT-Plus] Summary Report of GNSO Council 19 May 2022 meeting ++

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Fri May 27 06:17:22 UTC 2022

All,

Just sharing some supplementary information as they become available to me
via Council and/or Council Small Team meetings.

*3. SubPro ODP + 4. SubPro GGP*,

   - The SubPro ODP is currently ongoing and is only expected to produce
   an ODA sometime later this year.
   - There remains some aspects of SubPro Outputs which require further
   work by the ICANN community and for now, the topics of interest to the ALAC
   which have been identified for further work are implementation aspects
   related to:
      - the Applicant Support Program (ASP) (possibly touching on some
      policy elements);
      - Limited Public Interest objections (limited to handling frivolous
      objections); and
      - the lowering of the threshold for succeeding in a Community
      Priority Evaluation (CPE).
   - As mentioned earlier, Council is considering initiating a *GNSO
   Guidance Process for Subsequent Procedures* to handle future work on
   topics as identified both from the SubPro Outputs (Group 1 issues) and out
   of the SubPro ODP (Group 2 issues)
   - *Deliberations on this SubPro GPP progresses within Council is ongoing*
   - this GPP is currently envisaged to take on a representative model, and I
   will alert ALAC in due course on the need for ALAC to name its appointees
   to the GPP.

*GNSO-GAC Dialogue on Closed Generics*

   - As has been reported before, the ICANN Board has invited the GNSO and
   the GAC to dialogue on the issue of Closed Generics, in its attempt to
   clarify how applications for Closed Generics might be handled in the next
   round.
   - Councilors making up the GNSO Council Small Team for Closed Generic
   had more or less insisted that ALAC's participation in this dialogue must
   be predicated on not upsetting current negotiations being had within the
   Small Team (and correspondingly within GAC) in relation to the balanced
   number of representatives from GNSO and GAC.
   - Taking note of that condition, then having consulted ALAC leadership
   as well as taking into account the GAC's perspective, I proceeded to seek
   for ALAC to have a single member (+ an alternate) to participate in said
   dialogue.  Following this, there is no longer resistance in this Council
   Small Team to ALAC's participation in the dialogue. *Please note
   however, that the decision whether GNSO will invite ALAC to participate
   lies with Council*. *This question has not be posed to Council yet
   because this Small Team is still working on recommending to Council, the
   parameters for the dialogue*.
   - Things will become clearer as we approach ICANN 74, but at this point
   I am unable to advise if the ALAC/At-Large session on Closed Generics
   during ICANN 74 ought to include any specific angle.

Thanks for reading / your consideration.

Justine Chew
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO Council