[ALT-Plus] Summary Report of GNSO Council Extraordinary Meeting on 5 June 2023: Towards the Next Round of New gTLDs

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 07:02:42 UTC 2023

All,

Here is my summary report of the GNSO Council's Extraordinary Meeting which
took place on 5 June 2023. Should you require access to the meeting
records, please use these links: Agenda
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jun2023E-Agenda_Jun2023E>
| Matters of Interest
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jun2023E-MOI_Jun2023E>

Meeting Recording
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jun2023E-Meet_Jun2023E>
.

*Special Summary Report of 5 Jun 2023 Extraordinary Meeting to ALT-PLUS
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jun2023E-SumRep_Jun2023E>*

*1. Subsequent Procedures: Outstanding Work, in particular the 38 Pending
Recommendations*

   - Since ICANN76 where the *ICANN Board 16 March 2023 Resolution
   <https://www.icann.org/en/board-activities-and-meetings/materials/approved-resolutions-regular-meeting-of-the-icann-board-16-03-2023-en#section2.a>*
   was adopted, Council's SubPro Small Team has completed a triage of the
   issues with Board member input on why the Board placed specific
   recommendations into a pending status. The most recent Council
   discussions on moving the Small Team's work forward are captured
during Council's
   Extraordinary Meeting on 4 May
   <https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#GNSOLiaisonReport,postOct2021-A-23-05E>
   ( see report
   <https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#May2023E-Show_Jun2023B>
   ), the Council’s dialogue with the ICANN Board on 22 May
   <https://community.icann.org/x/y4lXDg>, and Council's Meeting on 25 May
   <https://community.icann.org/pages/createpage.action?spaceKey=atlarge&title=A-23-05&linkCreation=true&fromPageId=180028057>
   ( see report
   <https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#May2023-SumRep_May2023>
   ), which were summarily reported on during the At-Large CPWG call of 31
   Mar 2023 <https://community.icann.org/x/WIeZDg>.
   - Afterwards, some further tidying up led to 5 landing spots which more
   or less mirrors the 4 earlier groups of recommendations. These 5 landing
   spots are:
      1. Provision of clarifying statement
      2. Board non-adoption (meaning that the Board declines to approve
      recommendation in its current form and would trigger a process
to generate
      a GNSO supplemental recommendation aimed at addressing the
Board's concern
      while attempting the preserve the core intention of the original
      recommendation)
      3. Confirmation that issues can be address as part of implementation
      4. Exploring need for a limited Bylaw amendment
      5. Modification of recommendations (GNSO Section 16 PDP, which would
      involve consultation with a reconstituted SubPro PDP WG)
   - Council was briefed on an indicative path for each of these 5 landing
   spots ( best to see presentation
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/presentation/gnso-council-subpro-presentation-5jun23-en.pdf>
   for details )
   - Council also asked to consider a draft combined project plan, which
   attempts to address the 4 deliverables requested of Council by the ICANN
   Board. For convenience, the 4 deliverables are replicated as follows, as
   drawn from the *ICANN Board 16 March 2023 Resolution
   <https://www.icann.org/en/board-activities-and-meetings/materials/approved-resolutions-regular-meeting-of-the-icann-board-16-03-2023-en#section2.a>*
   :

   1.
      1. A plan and timeline as agreed upon by the ICANN Board and the GNSO
      Council for consideration and resolution of all Outputs
contained in Section
      B of the Scorecard
      <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/scorecard-subpro-pdp-board-action-16mar23-en.pdf>
      ;
      2. A working methodology and Implementation Review Team (IRT) work
      plan and timeline as agreed upon by ICANN org and the GNSO Council;
      3. A GNSO Council project plan and timeline for policy work, or an
      alternate path, on how to handle closed generics for the next
round of new
      gTLDs; and
      4. A project plan from the GNSO Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)
      Expedited Policy Development Process (EPDP) Working Group (WG)
identifying
      all charter questions that will impact the next Applicant
Guidebook, along
      with considerations to ensure a consistent solution on IDN Variant TLDs
      with the ccPDP4 on IDN ccTLDs (in accordance with prior Board Resolution
      2019.03.14.09
      <https://www.icann.org/en/board-activities-and-meetings/materials/approved-resolutions-regular-meeting-of-the-icann-board-14-03-2019-en#2.a>),
      and a timeline by when the IDNs EPDP WG will deliver relevant
      recommendations to the GNSO Council.

*Action by ALAC Liaison*

   -
      - To monitor and keep sharing updates regarding progress of the
      Council Small Team work on the 38 Pending Outputs
      - To maintain ALAC positions on the 38 Pending Outputs for purposes
      of the pre-ICANN77 ALAC-GNSO Bilateral.

*2. Closed Generics Draft Framework for onward policy process*

   - There remains no firm indications at this point on when the draft
   framework will actually be released. It was mentioned that a
   close-to-complete version could be released after the Closed Generics
   Dialogue call on Wed, 7 June, prior to ICANN77 GNSO Day Zero.
   - Staff generated a very conservative project plan of 96 weeks assuming
   an EPDP is used as the policy development mechanism to produce consensus
   policy out the framework. Several councilors against pushed back against
   either the 96-week time frame as being too long or the use of an EPDP as
   the optimal mechanism.
   - Discussions will continue at the Day Zero session on 11 June.

*3. Data accuracy in the context of NIS2*

   - NIS2 has a provision on registration data accuracy: Article 28
   subsection 3, "*Member States shall require the TLD registries and the
   entities providing domain registration services* - those being
   registrars, resellers, and privacy proxy services - *to have policies
   and procedures including verification procedures in place to ensure that
   the database as referred to in paragraph 1 include accurate and complete
   information. Member States shall require such policies and procedures to be
   publicly available.*" Then there's a corresponding recital, i.e. recital
   no. 111, "*Those policies and procedures should take into account to the
   extent possible, the standards developed by the multi-stakeholder or
   governance structures at the international level.*" (in other words,
   ICANN). There is something on accuracy in the RAA version 2013, but it
   is possible that that isn't good enough for the European lawmakers.
   - The question then arose as to whether GNSO could take some onward
   action, given that European national lawmakers are already in the process
   of drafting laws to transpose this to international laws, and this
   applying equally to gTLDs / GNSO and ccTLDs / ccNSO, to: (a) avoid
   fragmentation in the DN marketplace; (b) address potential divergence in
   national laws, and (c) avoid friction or major differences in user
   experience between generic side and the country-code side when registering
   for DNs.
   - Council is to take this discussion further in its June 2023 meeting.

Thanks for reading / considering.

Justine Chew
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO
GNSO Liaison Report Workspace