[bc-gnso] Draft BC position Regsitry Registrar Separation

Phil Corwin pcorwin at butera-andrews.com
Thu Aug 20 22:03:28 UTC 2009

Comments and suggested language changes--

The term "domain names" at line 31 should be changed to "gTLD registries" -- that seems to be what the sentence is getting at, that the BC has supported a cautious expansion by ICANN of gTLDs (domain names expand on their own at existing gTLDs in response to market demand).

Letting new gTLD registries sell DNs through affiliated registrars until a 100,000 threshold is crossed does not seem like a sound basis for easing separation. Such factors as whether a new gTLD is intended for a single entity's internal use (e.g., .acmecorp) or has high security standards and does not make domains available to the general public (e.g., .bank)seem much more relevant. Also, a 100,000 cap that triggers termination of new registrations through an affiliated registrar might lead to the gTLD's adoption of such cap as a maximum to create artificial scarcity and drive up registration prices at a particularly popular or desirable gTLD (e.g., .sport). If separation is to be eased it seems there are far sounder ways to do so that than letting a new registry have the exclusive right to sell the first 100k, and presumably most desirable, DNs.

Generally in agreement that the burden of proof is on those advocating a relaxation of registry-registrar separation, and suggest that line 72 be amended so that "and no significant adverse effects" is inserted after "new competitive benefits".

At line 92, question whether the term "third parties" is sufficiently specific and allows for limited legitimate exceptions to the overall maintenance of separation.

And at line 101, suggest that the term "internal use" be better fleshed out so we all understand what that means.

Finally, while we don't object to the BC taking a position on this important economic aspect of new gTLDs, we would hope that others could be addressed as well -- especially domain pricing at new gTLDs. We are not advocating ICANN regulation of pricing with imposed caps, as we don't think that new gTLDs with negligible market power will abuse their pricing of standard registrations and renewals. However, we do strongly advocate that the BC come out in opposition to permitting differential pricing -- that is, a registry operator charging one domain more than another for renewal based on its market success. This would permit registries to tax the success of individual websites which we believe is entirely inappropriate -- registries provide secure database services to registrants and we see no reason why there should be any price differential between registrants at a given gTLD.

We hope the BC will give serious consideration to taking a stand on this matter. Thank you for your consideration.

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004

202-347-6875 (office)

202-347-6876 (fax)

202-255-6172 (cell)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey