[bc-gnso] Finding Common Ground Between Markholders and Legitimate Domain Registrants

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Tue Jul 7 02:21:02 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

Any rational reading of the IRT comments archive demonstrates deep
divisions between TM holders and the broader public, in particular
domain name registrants:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/irt-final-report/

So, I thought it might be a good idea to try to find common ground
between the two sides. Since we continue to lack a true
cross-constituency GNSO mailing list, we'll have to do the best we can
with those on both sides represented in our own constituency.

Here's the first of several ideas that I'd like to "test", to see
whether they have the support of folks here:

1) Registry fees should be lower for domains that do no resolve (i.e.
have no nameservers). Since TM holders register a large number of
domains only for defensive purposes, they waste considerable sums on
domain names they simply do not really want to own or use. Conceivably
abusive registrants would benefit by being able to register larger
numbers of domains too at lower cost --- however, they'd be unable to
actually USE these domains, since the names do not resolve.

Please respond with "yes", "no", "maybe" and perhaps an explanation of
why you feel the way you do about the idea.

Perhaps we can queue up other ideas from both sides, and after
devoting a day or two or three to each idea (in separate threads), be
able to come up with a package of solutions that has strong consensus
support (even unanimous support) that we can bring to other
constituencies.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269