[bc-gnso] Finding Common Ground Between Markholders and Legitimate Domain Registrants

Rick Anderson RAnderson at interborder.ca
Tue Jul 7 03:00:48 UTC 2009

Hmm.

This is not my favourite GK idea of all time.

However, I do think the motivation is well-placed: how do we nurture the innovation, creativity, entrepreneurship and competition inherent in new TLDs and new registries and new models, while not saddling TMholders with the infinite costs of protecting their trademarks in an endless parade of TLDs.  Figure that out, George, and we shall be away to the races.

What I see wrong in this notion - at least as described here - is that it probably encourages tasting, squatting, speculation as much as it assists TMholders.  The unintended effect of subsidizing these activities is not a great plan.

As well, what actually makes sense with these secondary TM registrations is to point them at the primary site (rather than to leave them to non-resolve).  That's a better user experience, and if the holder has to go to the effort of registering them (a bigger cost really than the reg cost), whatever traffic they may generate may as well find its destination.

But I do agree with your premises, just not this particular tactic....

cheers/Rick

Rick Anderson
EVP, InterBorder Holdings Ltd
email: randerson at interborder.ca