[bc-gnso] Finding Common Ground Between Markholders and Legitimate Domain Registrants

martinsutton at hsbc.com martinsutton at hsbc.com
Tue Jul 7 09:48:39 UTC 2009

I would agree with Rick on this one.  Simply acquiring thousands of
domains is not the answer, irrespective of any cost reductions,
Considering all the variations that can be registered against a TM (and
there's always more...), imagine what that could be like with hundreds of
new gTLDs and the wider use of IDNs. Personally, I begrudge lining the
coffers of registries, registrars and ICANN, while the underlying problem
remains unresolved.

I would prefer to look at prevention rather than cures, so that sufficient
deterrents are in place to minimise the opportunities of abuse and
infringements in the first place.  Realistically, this will not be a
single solution but a multiple set of policies and tools, not all of which
may sit neatly within ICANN's remit.

Kind regards,

Martin

Martin C SUTTON
Manager, Group Fraud Risk & Intelligence
Global Security & Fraud Risk
8 Canada Square,Canary Wharf,London,E14 5HQ,United Kingdom

Phone.   +44 (0)207 991 8074
Fax.   +44 (0)207 992 4669
Mobile.   +44 (0)777 4556680
Email.   martinsutton at hsbc.com
Internet.   www.hsbc.com

"Rick Anderson" <RAnderson at interborder.ca>
Sent by: owner-bc-gnso at icann.org
Jul 07 2009 06:43

Mail Size: 11321

<icann at leap.com>, <bc-gnso at icann.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [bc-gnso] Finding Common Ground Between Markholders and Legitimate
Domain Registrants

  Entity
   HSBC Holdings plc - GMO

I know that in our firm it is not really the $7 registration fees which
are the issue, even though x hundreds of registrations it adds up.  The
more serious cost is the tens of thousands of dollars in lost time while
people sort these things out (usually in the legal department, an
expensive resource), without even getting into the thousands more
occasionally required for a UDRP or for the legal threats and wrangling
preceding one. It is this lost time and trouble which I believe most
people find the most aggravating and wasteful, moreso than the
registration fees per se, and regarding which the thought of mutiplying it
xfold for new TLDs is anathema.

It sound like you are applying your creative juices in the right
direction, if you can develop a method which fairly preserves the
(bonafide) rights of TMholders with minimal hassle, then you may well
significantly lessen the reflexive antagonism re new TLDs.

cheers/Rick

Rick Anderson
EVP, InterBorder Holdings Ltd
email: randerson at interborder.ca