[bc-gnso] FW: [gnso-sti] Common Grounds Paper

Michael D. Palage michael at palage.com
Sat Nov 7 08:29:09 UTC 2009

Mike,

Since this stakeholder groups is suppose to represent the interests of
"businesses" perhaps we might step back for a minute and ask if we have
acted like a business centric stakeholder group in proposing this solution.
Given that it will be businesses and trademark owners that will have to self
fund this service through their annual fees, would it not make sense for the
business centric stakeholder group to conduct even a rudimentary technical
and financial feasibility study in connection with your proposal. Your
actions appear to remind me more of an overzealous legislature imposing
complex regulatory obligations on small business operators without really
appreciating 1) its financial impact 2) it technical feasibility and 3) the
actual viability to solve the root problem.

Now aside from these common sense questions, this proposal kind of totally
ignore the additional facts: (1) this proposal goes above and beyond the
original IRT recommendations which there reached through a rough consensus
approach involving a diverse range of working group members (both
contracting and non-contracting) and (2) kind of violates the spirit of the
ICANN Board request, since this proposal does not appear aimed at a broad
consensus solution but attempting to reopen the process and move the goal
posts.

I would ask that this dissent be attached in connection with any Commercial
Stakeholder Group submission in connection with the STI submission, and I
would hope that other members would be able to join me.

Best regards,

Michael Palage