GNSO Chair, Vice-Chair - RE: [bc-gnso] GNSO Council chair elections?

Zahid Jamil zahid at dndrc.com
Fri Oct 16 19:09:44 UTC 2009

Dear Mikey,

Many thanks for the vote of confidence.

I think the role of the Vice Chair is dependent on who ends up being elected
Chair of the GNSO.  If the Chair has strong leadership skills, including
being able to handle work load, draft language and possibly mediate some,
the Vice Chair role would not be as burdensome.

In case the elected Chair avoids confrontation, cannot mediate and will end
up passing drafting language onto the Vice Chairs, the latter will have to
not only pick up the slack but will have to devote much time in mediating
and communicating (on lists and privately between the CSG and NCUC.

At present there are 3 candidates for Chair – have attached emails in this
regards from the Council list and also pasted a relevant one below.

In regards Vice Chair the NCUC and the soon CSG may have to come up with a
compromise on who they collectively will back as Vice Chair.

BC may wish to consider and provide ideas.

Dear Councillors,

Council wide nominations are closed.
http://gnso.icann.org/elections/election-procedures-12oct09.htm

There are 3 candidates who have been duly nominated, seconded and submitted
candidacy statements:

Olga Cavalli
http://gnso.icann.org/elections/cavalli-statement-12oct09.htm

Stéphane van Gelder
http://gnso.icann.org/elections/van-gelder-statement-14oct09.htm

Chuck Gomes
http://gnso.icann.org/elections/gomes-statement-14oct09.htm

We have now reached the Part 2  where each House determines a Candidate.

This process closes on Wednesday, 21 October at 23:00 UTC and the result
should be announced and sent to the council mailing list and
<gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org> by Wednesday 21 October 2009 at 23:00 UTC.

Part 2 _Each House determines a Candidate_

After council wide nominations are closed, each house will be allowed to
select one candidate for GNSO Council Chair from the pool of nominees.

A candidate for GNSO Council Chair does not need to be a member of the house
selecting the candidate. Should the non voting NCA be elected as chair
he/she would be a non-voting chair.

Each house must announce their chosen candidate by 21 October 2009 at 23
UTC.

The two houses may, separately, select the same candidate from the nominee
pool if they so wish.

The candidates from each of the houses shall have the opportunity of meeting
with Council Members at the GNSO Working Group sessions in Seoul on Saturday
morning, 24 October 2009.

(Proposed agenda:
https://st.icann.org/gnso-council/index.cgi?agenda_24_oct_2009)

B. PROPOSED SCHEDULE FOR THE VOTING

For this election, the voting will take place at the public Council meeting
in Seoul on Wednesday, 28 October 2009.

Avri Doria, current GNSO Council chair, will serve as non-voting chair of
the bicameral Council meeting on 28 October until such time as a new chair
is elected, at which time the new chair will assume the chair
responsibilities.

If an absentee ballot is required to complete the chair's election, this
will be a 24 hour ballot scheduled to end on 29 October. If no chair has
been elected by the end of the Annual meeting on 30 October, the vice-chairs
will assume the chair responsibilities as defined in the Bylaws and a runoff
will be scheduled as determined in the Council Procedures.

The winning candidate needs 60% of the votes of each house.

The Council shall inform the Board and the Community appropriately and post
the election results on the GNSO website within 2 business days following
the election.

In the event that the GNSO Council has not elected a GNSO Council Chair by
the end of the previous Chair's term, the Vice-Chairs will serve as Interim
GNSO Co-Chairs until a successful election can be held.

(Note: The Election of Vice chairs is house specific and will be defined
elsewhere)

Thank you.
Kind regards,

Glen

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org
http://gnso.icann.org

Sincerely,

Zahid Jamil
Barrister-at-law
Jamil & Jamil
Barristers-at-law
219-221 Central Hotel Annexe
Merewether Road, Karachi. Pakistan
Cell: +923008238230
Tel: +92 21 5680760 / 5685276 / 5655025
Fax: +92 21 5655026
 <http://www.jamilandjamil.com/> www.jamilandjamil.com

Notice / Disclaimer
This message contains confidential information and its contents are being
communicated only for the intended recipients . If you are not the intended
recipient you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
message by mistake and delete it from your system. The contents above may
contain/are the intellectual property of Jamil & Jamil, Barristers-at-Law,
and constitute privileged information protected by attorney client
privilege. The reproduction, publication, use, amendment, modification of
any kind whatsoever of any part or parts (including photocopying or storing
it in any medium by electronic means whether or not transiently or
incidentally or some other use of this communication) without prior written
permission and consent of Jamil & Jamil is prohibited.